Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

transmission shift linkage cable replacement?

296K views 116 replies 77 participants last post by  Joel1 
#1 ·
The bushing at the transmission is worn/gone to the point the cable comes off the transmission and will leave the transmission in whatever gear you were in unless you crawl under and manually move the lever to park etc.

I have the transmission shifter cable and just need guidelines on the installation of the new cable. Seems straight forward, but never hurts to ask before starting.

This is a 2004 trailblazer ext with automatic transmission.

#2 ·
Did you ever get a response? I have a TB aswell and it did the same thing.
The plastic ring in the black plastic rectangular piece was broken.

I did buy some plastic shifting linkage pieces (in the help section of autozone) and one did actually fit on the pin and lock. I will try to put it inside the black plastic tranny linkage and hope it works.

I will post up results as soon as possible.

#3 ·
Same problem here...actually happened on our annual family outing :rolleyes:. I was told by the dealer that the entire cable had to be replaced...was able to get back on the road by securing the linkage with wire. Like to know if the plastic from autozone work...and how did you find the proper size...just trial and error in the parking lot of Autozone (crawling under the truck)?

#4 ·
Yea trial and error pretty much. We were lucky it happened to break in our garage. The plastic linkage pieces are in the help section at autozone or advance auto parts. there was one that fit but it had a lip on it so i cut it off with scissors and it snapped in place. Good luck, it is a pain in the butt....also in case you did not know (i didnt) if it gets stuck in gear just jack up the truck and hit the lever towards the front of the truck. it will put it in park for you. I was scared as heck for 10 minutes thinking my truck was stuck in reverse! good luck

#5 · (Edited)
Ok. ill take a ride over to Autozone tomorrow. See if i can find what u are talking about.
Thanks again

Update..just got back; wondering if this was the same item that you had purchased?

im actually thinking something like this is the proper item...darn..i dont think they had that!
https://www.dormanproducts.com/cgi-bin/vm91corp30r/item-dtl.w?sid=DijdcdfMdljpdlua011542514561151145&item=74045&icrid=&clt=hwrap1&vsrch_str=Shift%20Linkage&vsrch_brand=ALL&vsrch_cat=ALL&st_amount=&end_amount=&start=&vfrom=&prev=&vnext=&category_list=:0

#7 ·
Hello;
I posted later on. You are all in luck! Im going to do mine tomorrow but I have been looking over the info I received (Chiltons Manual) and although it doesn't cover little details it seems pretty straight foreward.
Of course it starts with dis connecting the battery. for the next steps you will need a small metric socket, phillips screwdriver and a couple slot blade (regular) screwdrivers.
Take out the inside compartment in the console (6 Philipps screws) at first I couldn't see the screws (all of them) untill I took the little rubber inserts out.Lift out the compartment. Now, under that compartment there are two small screws with metric heads, I just used my 1/4" socket set with two long extensions, now, you have to remove the two cup holders in front and you will find two more metric headed screws (something the Chilton left out).
Next, using the small star end on a nut driver handle, remove the set screw in the base of the shifter knob (drivers side) and remove the knob and shift boot. Next, remove the console, you might have to un plug some of the wires I'm not going to unless I really have to! Now the end of the shift cable will be visable in front of the shifter.
Make sure the shifter in the Park position.
Jack up the car (I call my TB a car?) and make sure it isn't going anywhere by placing blocks in back of the rear wheels. Time to get grimey! crawl under and locate the cable end at the transmission, and using a flat blade screwdriver, seporate (pry) the end of the cable off the end of the trans lever (which has a locking ball on it) then next the cable assembly will be held in a bracket, you have to locate a clip near the end and pry it down to free the cable from the bracket. Now follow the cable to where it enters the floor, there is a rubber boot (part of the cable) the pushes out under the carpet.
You might have to pry up the pieces on the drivers door entrance to free up the carpet. Next, you use a screwdriver (Slot head) to pry the cable off of the shifter end (should have a retaining ball like the trans did). Pull the cable out and get ready to put the new one in.
Installation should go reverse of the removal with the exception of making sure the shifter inside is in park as well as the transmission lever.
You will notice a small clip (trans end of the cable) with with a sliding locking clip. this should be down untill you get the cable hooked up then press it up and slide the lock over it. DONE! (except for putting it back together)
Hope this helps anyone having to do this job.

Bruces 57

#12 ·
Thanks to all. The link is a great money saver. Mine just broke last week and my wife had to go on a trip. I was able to pop out the small bushing and flip it over, and with the help of two tie wraps securing the cable to the shift linkage she was able to make the trip. I am about to order the part.

#14 ·
Automatic Transmission Factory
www.atfspeed.com/

I just received my pins (there were two in the package) to replace the broken bushing at the end of my shift cable. I had to slightly enlarge the opening in the end of the plastic shift cable, which was easily accomplished with a drill bit. Installation was straightforward and easy. Watch the video on their website for instructions, and don't hesitate to call them. They were very helpful on the phone.

Saved me a bunch of time and money by using this replacement pin. Should have been designed by the factory like this.

#34 ·
"Flipping" trans lever

OK I am alil OCD but I just had to find out if I had messed up...

Unless I am mistaking, :undecided according to the directions the "staked" side is the side that gets ground and is also the side that's toward the pan, so basically it stays oriented the same way.[/QUOTE

First of all, I thank you guys for the helpfull posts. The ATF replacement pin is the way to go!!! I removed the lever and ground the "backside" of the existing pin (the flat portion which is located on the outside = the side away from the tranny). I used a punch to remove the existing pin, reinstalled the new pin with the arm in the factory installed orientation (did not flip it) and all is great!

#27 · (Edited)
Step 6

Step6: reinstall lever on transmission making sure ground on side is toward the trans pan. Your cable is installed correct but the lever on the trans. needs to be flipped over. That is what I did on mine and it lines up straight. In the video it shows grinding the outside (stacked/short) end of the lever. I'm like ok, so I did call ATF before putting it on. He told me to install it that way (basically backwards).

#29 ·
I wish I had known about this pin before removing the console. What a waste of time. That thing is a PITA. This pin turns a 3 hour job into 15 minutes. Now I still have to put the console back in. If you don't go the pin route you're torturing yourself. Besides the pin is stronger than the plastic bushing.

#31 ·
Grinding it wasn't that bad. The pin is in and the trans shifts good again. The pin will outlast the transmission. The bushing is going to fail again, but I will have to admit this on lasted 8 yrs. When I called the Chevy dealer and gave him the part number for the cable the parts guy immediately asked if the cable came off of the trans. I asked how he knew that BEFORE I told him. He went silent. I asked if this was a common problem since he knew what I needed before I even finished my sentence. He said "Not really". I said "Yeah, right and I'll bet you have the Power Ball numbers too". The console wasn't as bad putting it back as it was taking it out. I had it at the shop because it came in on the hook so I was able to look at Alldata to get some help. When I took it out I was in a parking lot in front of Family Dollar. Not the best for working on cars. I did drill a small hole in the pass side of the console directly in line with the interlock solenoid and put a cap on it. If it ever fails or the circuit or brake lite switch has a problem you can take the cap off and push the button on the solenoid in to get the truck to shift. Something extra a do for my customers which GM should have done at the factory. You have to remove the console to push that button in without the hole I drilled. It's will be a real life saver if they have a shift problem in the future.

#32 ·
Trailblazer gear shift cable bushing

The bushing can be bought for approximately $10 including s & h on E-bay. To avoid many false returns, use the GM part number and description (part name) in the search field. The e-mail address of one seller is as follows:

ieshouston(at)yahoo.com

Use the ampersand symbol in place of the word "at" when sending an e-mail.

#33 ·
Gear Shift Cable Repair

The problem is the bushing inside the end of the gearshift cable has worn or broken to the point the cable has come off the stud which is in the transmission linkage. A replacement bushing can be found on E-bay or by e-mailing a seller at the following address:

ieshouston(at)yahoo.com

The cost is approximately $10 including s & h.

#35 ·
ebay bushing doesnt work

The problem is the bushing inside the end of the gearshift cable has worn or broken to the point the cable has come off the stud which is in the transmission linkage. A replacement bushing can be found on E-bay or by e-mailing a seller at the following address:

ieshouston(at)yahoo.com

The cost is approximately $10 including s & h.
I bought one from this seller- and its no good. I dont know if i got a bad one or what but it doesnt work. I slid it on the selector and it has no "click" to it, like its not fitting tight enough- so it will just slide right off. Its on as far as it goes and i tried flipping it the other way but still doesnt have enough hold. Its as if its made from to soft of material or the ring on the inside isnt big enough. Either way my old bushing has one side broke off, and flipping it around and re-installing it holds 10x better than this new bushing from eBay. So i guess i'll be ordering the repair pin/clip kit as previously posted-that seems much better. I just figured i'd post my results from the ebay bushing, Its getting mentioned that its sold but i had no luck with the end results.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.