Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 03 trailblazer ls 2rwd. No dash lights on driving normal goes thru 1st and 2nd but third if im driving as if I were in residential area once rpms start passing 2 grand then it slips rpms go up reving up if I give it gas 4000 4500 then let off it will go into 3rd is that a selanoid or what I'm not a mechanic at all. Also if I baby it think it will continue to do that for about 3 more weeks till I can get it to a mechanic? Also put new transmission filter in no metal in pan.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
You have the common failure of the 4L60 series of transmissions: Direct Clutch Failure.

3rd gear IS Direct in that it is a 1:1 ratio where the crankshaft is turning the same speed as the output shaft of the transmission - or the input shaft of the transfer case in our situations.

You don't need a mechanic - you need a transmission shop.

If you insist on driving it, you can seriously "metal-out" the fluid cooling system and that may mean replacing the transmission heat exchanger and/or radiator if your "cooler' - which it isn't by technical definition) - become contaminated too.

Since you feel if actually shift to 3rd/Direct - then the solenoid has done it's job and the rest is up to the holding capacity of the clutchpack - and yours flares up - and that's always surgery.

Your: "Also put new transmission filter in no metal in pan. " ---- but, alas --- you WILL get metal in the pan eventually - you are on the cusp of it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts