Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_denali_xl
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to drop the transmission pan on my 06 XL this weekend to change the filter. I noticed that the exhaust crossover pipe crosses under the back side of the pan. I figured that since the pan is notched for it, I should be fine. I messed with it for over an hour but could not clear the pan from the pipe. Am I missing something here or can I assume that I have to drop the exhaust to remove the pan? Has anyone else run into this problem? Thanks

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
The pan isn't notched for the exhaust. That is just the deep pan. There is another pan that doesn't have the step but, IIRC, it was only used on '02 and some '03's. I've looked through my service manual but can't find any reference to removing the exhaust. Hopefully someone with the 5.3 will chime in.

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_denali_xl
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do nearly all of my own mechanical work from basic maintenance to large repairs but, I have to admit, I took my trani filter to a mechanic and had the work done in this case. Unfortunately, I didn't ask him how he got the pan out. I will take a closer look at it the next time the filter needs changed. I wonder if the cross member mount can be loosened or removed and the transmission jacked up slightly to gain clearance from the exhaust.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.