Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 trailblazer 4.2 LT the vehicle is lagging from starting off and has acceleration problems. The codes indicated a faulty torque converter and shift solenoid. These two things were replaced with a new fluid and filter. It did not correct the issue. You must still push down on the gas to get it to move forward. It appears to shift through all the gears. Does not tac up when accelerating. Interestingly if you manually use the first second and third there is no hesitation or lagging. It is only happening from the drive (starting off) and continued weal acceleration at higher speeds

·
Premium Member
'05 Chevy TB EXT
4,647 Posts
You might be starting up in 2nd/Intermediate gear and that will make the acceleration really slow with not much RPM.

OR .... you could be losing the 3/4 clutch pack --- a fairly common failure that kinda-really sounds like what you've got.

I am ASSUMING you've checked the quadrant to make sure you are really IN the gear of your choice --- right?
This is a "get out and get under" kinda job.​

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for responding. I am having someone check it this afternoon. This was my impression also. However, I thought there might be an internal overdrive that it was starting out with (I do not have a listed gear of overdrive). Will the tester show what gears I actually am in? I will ask them to check the quadrant. I am assuming the 3/4 clutch pack requires a complete transmission rebuild ?

·
Premium Member
'05 Chevy TB EXT
4,647 Posts
would replacement of the 3-4 burn-out kit require complete removal of the transmission or through the pan 2004 trailblazer Lt 4WD
I like your spirit --- really! I do ...

But no ..................... you cannot slip a Direct Clutch piston and Clutchpack into the transmission through the pan --- even if you remove the valve body.

Let me give ya a f'rinstance .......

Let's say that you wanna rebuild your lawnmower engine --- but you have to do it through the exhaust.

Nope. 'Tain't gonna happen even by the BEST gynecologists!

Wait a minute! You're a paramedic ---> right?

Mebbee you can do it ........... nah ............................... cancel that idea.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just had the vehicle looked at. The code reader is throwing almost every tranny part. The tranny is in 4th gear when starting off from drive. It happens that this garage has a vehicle they just worked on with the same issue. It is believed one of the pins of a plug-in or a wire was pinched. Moreover, the just changed torque converter was unnecessary(this new part was in the list of codes)

·
Premium Member
'05 Chevy TB EXT
4,647 Posts
Good deal then --- mostly transmission problems are physical or mechanical.

I've only had a few solenoids fail on customer's cars --- but it's good to know.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts