Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_lt
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just did a trans service and of course I looked at the manual and it requires 5 qts when you do a pan/filter drop. So I did this over the weekend and put exactly 5 qts in and now the dipstick is reading about 1/4 of an inch or so over the crosshairs on the dipstick.. A) should I even worry about it because its not bubbeling or foaming. B) should I worry about it and go and find a tube and suck that much out of the filler tube and not worry about dropping the pan again??

Thanks again

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
1,282 Posts
1/4" over the full mark? I wouldnt worry about it. The 4l60e, along with most other transmissions, have an overfill tube that would spit out any overfill if it was "that" overfull that would hamper operation.

Mine is slightly over the full mark too, maybe just about 1/8" though.

For future reference, dont listen to the book as much. - the 5 quart refill reference is just an approximation. When I drop the pan, I refill with 1 gallon of trans fluid, then check the level. By that point, its usually somewhere on the dipstick. Then I carefully top off with the last quart or so, re-checking the level after every 1/4 quart or so until I get it right.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
58 Posts
Not that I can answer your question, but I have a similiar experience. I changed my trans. fluid last weekend. I kept adding and adding fluid until I was 8 oz. shy of 5 quarts.

Now that I have driven it a week the level is just a bit high. Mine isn't enough to worry about in my opinion. Interesting to hear what others say about yours.

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_lt
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well thats cool, I ended up sucking just a little bit out throught the dipstick tube, just for my sanity. its still slightly overfill but not as much as it was, I'm not going to worry about it at this point. but thanks for responding.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
1,282 Posts
well thats cool, I ended up sucking just a little bit out throught the dipstick tube, just for my sanity. its still slightly overfill but not as much as it was, I'm not going to worry about it at this point. but thanks for responding.
Ive done the same thing in the past. I have an oil extractor that I use for my boat. Hey, if you hadnt drained it something would've happened in the future - conincidental or not - and you'd have been pissed at yourself for not draining off the extra fluid. :m2:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.