Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to be changing my tranny filter soon, just wondering if any one knows about how much has to be added after the filter change. I have a deep pan. Looks like it might hold quite a bit. I have 4 quarts of amsoil but wondering if im going to need more? :undecided

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,708 Posts
I think it is 5. What does your manual say? If you do not have one you can download one by clicking on the resources button at the top .

·
Registered
gmc envoy_slt_xl
138 Posts
my manual says 4 quarts, and i have a 06 trailblazer swb and 2wd. i just flushed my tranny at 50,000 miles. did it myself. trick to getting all of old oil out is undo the cooler line from radiator and run trailblazer in neutral and you will pump out the rest of the dirty oil that is still in the converter and that amounts to between 2 and 3 more quarts, but don't forget to put filter, gasket and 4 quarts of new oil in 1st before doing the cooler line trick.

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
complete flush and fill is around 13 quarts

A pan drop and filter change is around 5 quarts for deep pan and 4 to 4 1/2 for shallow pan.

·
Registered
2007 gmc
159 Posts

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:thumbsup: Looks like ill get one or two more quarts just to be safe. Thanks agian.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Are you going to use Dex-III or the better, Dex-VI ?

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Im going to be adding in Amsoil ATF, i did a filter change on my Alero and used Amsoil ATF in that, shifts way smoother now. Hopefully it smooths out my Envoy, seems to shift little weird?

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Deep pan has a step and shallow is straight across.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle_xl
151 Posts
The easy way is to just buy both filters for the shallow pan and the deep pan. Then take back the filter you don't use. Make a note in the owners manual which filter you need and the next time you'll be ready. I know it is a pain to go back to the part store, but it is a bigger pain to go back while the pan is off and wind may be bloing dirt around.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
26 Posts
what do you guys recommend if I do a pan drop/filter change,; mobil 1 for dex III or use a dex VI product in a 04 TB? not sure if I have an amsoil dealer around.
thanks

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I use the DEX-VI and think the tranny is smoother. I also added a +2 qt. Hughes tranny pan, finned alum with a drain plug.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I bought my Amsoil online, purchased the perferred membership and get oil at dealer cost. buying a $10 membership saved me over $75 on my final purchase. Good deal :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,422 Posts
:hijackedNot to thread steal or anything but why did GM use 2 different depth pans. Was it a model year change?:eek:fftopic:

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
:hijackedNot to thread steal or anything but why did GM use 2 different depth pans. Was it a model year change?:eek:fftopic:
That would be my guess.. but it was very early on.. so the early to late 2002's have the shallow pan.. as mines an 03 and has the deep pan

·
Registered
2007 gmc
159 Posts
2wd typically have the shallow pan (~2-1/8" depth) and 4wd typically have the deep pan (~2-7/8"). Some of the 2wds with towing or cruise packages may have the deeper pan. The deeper pans sometimes will have a inch or so drop towards the rear of the pan.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts