Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are these things this crappy? I have had nothing but problems with my 05 blazer since the 36,001 mark! Just got the hesitation figured out and now the trans is gone! I am at 50,000 miles. Noticed a very minor vibration for the past 2 weeks and then just yesterday out of nowhere, trans starts slipping bad like it is out of fluid. It is not out of fluid and I was just thinking about a flush and fill service but I guess it needs it every 5,000 instead of every 50,000. Local trans shop checked it out for free and said it was definitely a mechanical problem and not an electrical one. Lot of debris on the magnet in the pan. Any ideas and what is everyone paying for a rebuild or replacement? Any chance of getting gm involved or am I crap out of luck at 36,001. Wish I never bought it!!!!

·
Basic Vendor- Skid Plates
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
3,700 Posts
sorry about your problem, but that's very, very early for a non-SS transmission to go in one of these...

Mike

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
62 Posts
I feel the pain.... Mine just "gave out" one day on the way to work. I replaced my tranny at 70000 miles two weeks ago. I never tow anything and never abuse it. Trans shop wanted $1800.00 to rebuild. I bought one from a junkyard with 24000 miles on it for 500.00 and put it in over the weekend.

Not a fun job

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I buy from a junkyard, does it have to come from a 05 2wd? What I mean is exactly what info do I need to ask for?

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle
18 Posts
Trans. needs to be flushed every 25 thousand miles, once a year for most people. i do alot of highway driving so i just keep an eye on the fluid and make sure its clean. the first hint of burnt fluid it gets flushed.

the mechanical problem, judging from the vibration and the sudden slippage sounds to me like the planetary gear set is history, seen two others do the same thing one at 47 thousand the other at 53 thousand.

the trans. u need is a 4L60-E , application shouldnt matter all that much unless there is something about the TB and Envoy i dont know about....my advice, if you install a rebuild or a used one yourself FLUSH THE COOLER LINES COMPLETELY. any transmission supplier can sell you the flush kit to use prior to installing the trans. good luck

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Checked around and most shops want $1800 for a rebuild. Can buy a used one from junkyard with 40,000???? for $550. Then, found a local shop that has a GREAT reputation as doing good work and cheap. He will be rebuilding it this week for $1000. Best deal yet and very nice and knowledgeable. Spent over 30 min. with me driving trying to solve problem before saying it needs rebuild. I am still upset at this junker that I have had nothing but trouble. If I had found this forum before I bought my blazer and read some of the things here, I would have NOT bought one. However, it is paid for with only 50,000 miles and like not having car payments, so this is it for me now. Thanks for everyone's help.

·
Premium Member
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,422 Posts
You are better off with the rebuild, especially for that price. My '97 T/A had the 4L60E and I blew her at about 27,000 miles. Plus you never know what kind of 40,000 miles were put on it.:m2:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yea, I am going for the rebuild. Dropped it off tonite. I am just upset at this thing going at 50,000. Plus everyone else's stories of how they go out at 27,000 or 40,000 or even 75,000. Doesn't sound like any of them last long. Anyone have one that went without problems for any length of time??

·
Registered
2002 chevy
2,582 Posts
if the trans rebult cost 1800 then go to FLT (Finish Line Trans) Their built trans cost from 17-1950. There build to last long. Got a level 4 trans for 1950.

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
87 Posts
I'm gonna knock on wood after this comment. But I have 144k on my Bravada. It's really a crap shoot, man. I've been lucky with my trans. Just in the case that I have to replace/rebuild, I located a reputable shop that would do the work. Hopefully it doesn't happen anytime soon.
Let us know how she drives after your rebuild.

·
Registered
124 Posts
too bad my lasted 213,000 miles with no flush changed fluid and filter at 100k miles no towing and hot florida...sounds like it had a some manf flaw...when these trucks get a vibration have it checked..if can damage many things..see if it has vibration in neutral look at the pulleys

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
694 Posts
Don't lump all of our trucks into the category of being horrible. :hissy: No company can produce flawless products on a large scale 100% of the time. :rolleyes: Its impossible! Do things break, YES, thats part of owning a vehicle, no matter what it is. Most members have had no problems out of their tranny's till well over 100k. Those that due tend to be SS owners which GM refuses to admit the made a bad choice on the tranny they put in the SS and issue a recall. Just because 3 members out of 13,000 have problems, doesn't mean GM is making a horrible product. There are over 100 parts to a transmission and probably 60 different suppliers for all those parts, of which there were probably 30 different batches of steel and aluminum casts made to build all those parts. Nothing is perfect that is life! :bonk:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Don't lump all of our trucks into the category of being horrible. :hissy: No company can produce flawless products on a large scale 100% of the time. :rolleyes: Its impossible! Do things break, YES, thats part of owning a vehicle, no matter what it is. Most members have had no problems out of their tranny's till well over 100k. Those that due tend to be SS owners which GM refuses to admit the made a bad choice on the tranny they put in the SS and issue a recall. Just because 3 members out of 13,000 have problems, doesn't mean GM is making a horrible product. There are over 100 parts to a transmission and probably 60 different suppliers for all those parts, of which there were probably 30 different batches of steel and aluminum casts made to build all those parts. Nothing is perfect that is life! :bonk:
Very True. I guess I am the unlucky one this time.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
137 Posts
Mine went last year at 73K miles. Fortunately, I had an extended warranty and I only had to pay for the trans fluid. The bad part was dealing with the warranty company. They love it when you give them your money up front but they hate to have to fulfill their end of the bargain.

The Chevy dealership here that did the replacement said the one provided by the warranty company looked good for a used one. The popped the pan and inspected it before they installed it and they said I should be good for a long time.

My TB was a Certified GM Used Truck when I bought it and it was obvious that the previous owner took great care of it. I don't hot rod it or tow and one day the damn thing wouldn't go any further than 2nd gear. So, I guess you never know. I have owned 3 Caprice wagons from the '80's and have put over 200,000 miles on them after I bought them with 100,000 already on them and never had a lick of problems with the trannys. The odds finally caught up to me on my TB.

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
Wow, someone must have beat the heck out of your TB man. Sorry but this is why Im not a fan of used cars unless I plan on rebuilding them anyway (well none so far but its my future plan).

Ive got 104,8xx on my 02 trans, fluid changed 1.5x (long story) at ~50 then 63k. Added a Vette servo and have had it tuned with 0 TM, 0 shift times and raised line pressures for ~45k now. Its finally starting to slip a little, but Im going to have it flushed and Ill drop the pan and change the filter here in about a week.

Since you're having these problems, did you buy it from a dealer you can have fix small things? I would do an oil change (dont care what the dealer said), diff fluid and xfer case fluid, clean the throttle body, flush the brakes, maybe some Techron through the tank and Seafoam the top end. Prob cost you less than $200 (plus the new trans) to do these and get you started on a clean slate.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
201 Posts
I bought mine 2.5 years ago with 48k on it..it now has 56k on it..i barely drive anymore..no problems yet except for critters building nests every now and then..to be honest i love my TB..dont see many north face editions, got it looking good inside and out, BUT I am seriously worried about tranny problems..all the reading ive done on here and its seems to be the weakest link..im still paying for 1.5 year on it too..the last thing i need is to replace a transmission..im considering trading it in..but with no signs of probs yet its hard to let go..:worried:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sorry, forgot to update. I got it back from the shop that rebuilt it and it shifts great. There is now a problem with the linkage or something because when you go from drive to reverse, it doesn't go. The shifter goes but the car stays in neutral. You have to wiggle the shifter to get it to go. I guess I will take it back to adjust the linkage.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts