Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle_xl
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read in a post that if your motor and the splines keys do not line up to take a pair of plyers and turn the spline. That said, I tried it and had to give a ton of force to get it to move just a little. Is this normal? I had 12in long channel locks on it and giving it all I had. The only way it would turn was counter clockwise and only about 1/8 of a turn I herd a pop and the spline started wiggling around in the transfer case. Well, I was pretty sure that was bad so turned it back until it popped again and felt more secure.

I can not get it to turn clockwise at all and I am quite sure it is not in 4 low.

·
Registered
994 Posts
The SPLINE wiggled? Can you provide more info?

BTW ---> POP is never a good sound.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Edit ---> This is something that is "somewhat typical" and could be the problem. I've had a couple in for sheered teeth on these gears too.

(I forgot about this problem, but it certainly can cause your problem(s))

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle_xl
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was as if nothing was holding it in place anymore with just lots of Play in all directions in out up down side side only place there was no play was rotational. After a lot of force it moved back into place and was secure again.

Also, after the pop the shaft to the front diff would not turn by hand when I rotated it back the shaft would turn.

Yes, I know a pop most times but not Always. It couldve been just the toothed spline coming off the gears and something hitting inside. Was a good bit of force

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
806 Posts
This may help a little.

When the shaft is in the 2wd position,,,, a very small rotation ccw will shift the transfer case into the neutral position. Here the front driveshaft will spin freely.

Turning just a little bit more ccw shifts the transfer case into the 4lo position. Here the front driveshaft would not spin freely.

I suspect you turned from 2wd through neutral to 4lo. The POP could have been getting into 4lo if the gearing was not quite aligned to get into 4lo. Btw, this is why the recommended procedure for shifts into or out of 4lo calls for very slowly rolling the vehicle as you make the shift. It's to allow the gearing to come into alignment and not have it try to "POP" in there.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle_xl
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I turned CCW is when everything got real loose. I would think that it would not be so loose if in gear. I wish i had made a video when it was like that so I could have shown you. Also I see the motor is geared way down before attaching to the spline. How much force is needed in order to rotate the spline? It seemed like I had to give it a lot to move in a ccw motion and once everything got loose only about 1/8 of a turn it would not turn any more. consequently, I could not turn it CW at all except after that initail CCW movement.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle_xl
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am a bit busy right now so I am going to suggest having a look at this document which can help to understand why it takes force to turn the shaft. In particular look closely at the images of the cams that you are turning when you turn the shaft....

I understand that It takes force I was just asking about how much force it should take. I had 12+ inch long channel locks on it and had to give it almost as much force as I could to move it. Anyway, Was not looking for an instant answer. I am in a holding pattern as I am waiting on a new TC Motor. I'll have a look at it though

·
Registered
994 Posts
TJ ... the OP said it "wiggled" which to me would mean it was moving in all 3 axis (up, down, in/out). No way should it be able to move in any of those directions. Think of wiggling a baby tooth ... if we can remember that far back!

"Twisting uncontrollably" ... which was not said ... would be different in that there was a point where the spline shaft was no longer in a correct rotational position to pass motion to the driven components inside the housing. Think: between broken gear teeth. I believe this is what he/she meant.

Language is a cruel mistress and interpretation because of unclarity can go any direction. Right now the actual motion of the input splined shaft is somewhat unclear.

I'm going with "busted gear teeth" ... which I have seen ... as the untoward motion that is going on here ... time and further communication will clear this up.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle_xl
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
By wiggle I mean in 3 axis'. Once forced back CW that axial motion stopped. BUT, with all the force I can give with the plyers I can not move it CW and I can move it CCW and it just moves to that position with the axial motion. I am about to ditch the Idea of fixing if the new motor does nothing. 4WD is not that important in South Carolina. I just wanted it to be right but not at a large expense of Transfer case replacement. I certainly could do it but The cost of getting one. There are very few 4wd here and finding one at a junk yard is unlikely.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts