Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My case is leaking in 2 places - the shaft to the driver side wheel and the shaft going in to the transfer case.

I found a video how to deal with the shaft to the wheel but i haven't found any info on the input shaft leak.

TIA.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
262 Posts
So.... The transfer case is the assembly between the transmission and the rear axle. Sounds like you are speaking of the front differential. That is bolted to the driver side of the oil pan. The seal for which you have NOT found instructions is called the pinion seal. Try searching for that term and you may find some results. I did not find one for a trailblazer, or even a front differential but there are several for rear differentials and the idea is pretty much the same.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, freudian slip. I was also looking to see if i can just disconnect the front differential(along with the shaft at the wheels also) because it is leaking and if fixing the leak is too much trouble. I don't really use it.
Yes, I was looking under differential. all i keep finding is how to change the shaft seal- no replace by the input shaft.
Thanks.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
262 Posts
Sorry, freudian slip. I was also looking to see if i can just disconnect the front differential(along with the shaft at the wheels also) because it is leaking and if fixing the leak is too much trouble. I don't really use it.
Yes, I was looking under differential. all i keep finding is how to change the shaft seal- no replace by the input shaft.
Thanks.
Look specifically for 'pinion seal'.

If you were considering abandoning the 4wd I would want to remove the CV shafts. At least the drivers side anyway. To do that you will be right where you need to be to replace the CV axle seal! If the differential has not been damaged by running with low fluid from the leaks you might consider repairing it. However, if you truly do not need it or the expense of repairing it then you certainly can just remove the CV shafts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts