Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 05 TB. Just recently I have noticed the transfer case leaking. most noticable when I am towing my waverunner. It's very odd because it only leaks occasionally, meaning I can tow to the lake and it won't leak but return home several hours later and it will leak. I notice a leak because the is oil on my back window and on the waverunner. But like I said may show up sometimes but others not. I was told by a local shop that the transfer case seal was bad. But if this were the case wouldn't it leak all the time? Also when it was checked he said the oil was full, I ran it for several days and had someone else check it out, during those days it never showed a sign of leaking but when the 2nd person checked it he said that it needed oil and he put 2 qts in it. I trust the first shop I took it too, and have for years. Any suggestions on what this problem may be, before making the desicion to have the TC pulled and resealed?

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
2 quarts is HUGE when it only holds 2 quarts!! :eek: :eek:

You sure he was filling the right thing? With the right blue Auto Trac II fluid from GM. Not oil. I hope you're just saying oil when you mean transfer case fluid, which is like ATF for feel and smell.

Seals can leak intermittently, but it's not typical. Of the three seals you have, did they say which one? Or do they think it's where the case splits?

Do you have the receipt from the second mechanic?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was told it is where the transfer case splits. Which if it was leaking all the time I would completeley understand. I've looked and not being able to see much think it could be somewhere on the top side of the TC. And yea oil I'm referring to TC fluid. No recipt on the second. No repairs have been made yet other than the second place telling me they put 2 quarts in it. I'm more concrened on why it is so sporadic.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
13 Posts
Hi, I was towing for the first time a week ago or so and noticed oil on my camper and undernieth the truck. Comming from the front TC output seal.

I bought the seal at a GM dealer, retails for $98 bucks CND. I got it for $69 through our corporate acount.

I bought a quart (litre actually) of autotrackII, cost me 8 bucks, dealer told me the TC took 2 quarts to change/fill. (scares me to think the second place you went to said they added 2 quarts!)

Has anyone ever changed the TC front shaft output seal? Any surprises I should be aware of. BTW, I bought the truck used and the oil leaking out appeard to be red like dexron, is it possible that it doesn't take the blue stuff:undecided

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
...dealer told me the TC took 2 quarts to change/fill. (scares me to think the second place you went to said they added 2 quarts!)
Yep. Got us concerned as well.
...oil leaking out appeard to be red like dexron, is it possible that it doesn't take the blue stuff:undecided
Not possible unless somebody put transmission fluid in as a stop-gap. All trailvoy transfer cases take the blue stuff. But IIRC there were rare reports of tranny to TC leakage that also could cause overfull transfer cases. This might be the cause of folks who said they drained more than 2 quarts out, or that it wasn't pure blue.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
13 Posts
Thanks for the reply, :tiphat
If it is what I think, Dexron, might just as well get another litre and change it outright. I've waisted 16 bucks for a lot less reason than that.

I have to do the seal anyway.
Do you know anything about checking the vent?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.