Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in 2005 I was a service manager at a Chevrolet dealership. I remember seeing Trailblazers come in with transfer cases that had failed due to internal bearing/fork failure. We thought the bearing was way to small at the dealership to handle the load. Some of the cases had holes in them where the bearing failed and metal debris broke through the case. The inside of the case looked like metal soup. At that time Chevrolet didn't have a fix for the problem. I saw at least 5 to 10 of these during my tenure as service manager.

I own a 2005 Trailerblazer that my wife drives. This very same problem happened to her this last week. I believe the transfer case also took out the front end but and not sure since the vehicle is currently at a Chevrolet for diagnosis.

I have been told there is now an update transfer case that addresses the bearing/fork problem. Of course the vehicle is out of warranty now.

My question is: how many of you out there have experienced this type of problem? Did Chevrolet do anything about it? You help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
4,125 Posts
I've never heard of the t-case grenading like that

Was the transfer case engaged when it happened? or just in 2WD? Was it engaged on dry pavement?
I've put mine thru its paces in the snow but the wheels always spin so I doubt anything bad can happen to it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Transfer Case Problems on Trailblazer

The problem seems to happen when A4WD is selected and you are driving on slick roads (i.e. ice) and you hit a dry spot or visa versa. The bearing in the transfer case takes the "shock" and can't handle the load.

·
Basic Vendor- Skid Plates
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
3,700 Posts
The problem seems to happen when A4WD is selected and you are driving on slick roads (i.e. ice) and you hit a dry spot or visa versa. The bearing in the transfer case takes the "shock" and can't handle the load.
Yeah... I usually try and stay out of A4WD unless the road is VERY patchy... When I'm in it (and I tell the wife, when she's in it), to make sure to get on the gas VERY slowly, so that when the front end grabs, it's not a harsh "bang" like it can be if you get in it like normal, and the rear end takes off too quickly... Just seemed like the kind of thing that you wouldn't want to do too often...

Mike

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Trailblazer Transfer Case Problem

From what I have seen as a service manager and what others who are still in the dealership service business tell me, this issue should have warranted a recall. GM has made a modification to the transfer case and "update" the internal bearing/fork. When you call the parts department they will tell you they have the updated transfer case.

·
Basic Vendor- Skid Plates
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
3,700 Posts
From what I have seen as a service manager and what others who are still in the dealership service business tell me, this issue should have warranted a recall. GM has made a modification to the transfer case and "update" the internal bearing/fork. When you call the parts department they will tell you they have the updated transfer case.
Ah... what year did that start? I've got an '07, so I suspect if there's an updated TCase, I've got it from the factory?

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Trailblazer with Transfer Case Problem

I am not sure. I worked as the service manager at a Chevrolet dealership in 2004-2005. My Trailblazer is a 2004. Perhaps the best way to get an answer is to call a Chevrolet dealership and ask someone in their parts deparment when the updated transfer case came out.

I doubt you would have heard of this problem in warmer climates since the A4WD wouldn't be used as much. The problem would rear it's ugly head in colder climates where the 4WD would be used more. I live in Alaska. We have 2 Chevrolet dealerships and both of their parts departments carry the updated transfer case. Both dealerships are aware of the problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Symptoms?

I have a 2005 TB that is starting to do strange things when I put it in A4WD. What were the symptoms that the vehicle had prior to the transfer case failure?

I'm getting a pulsating in the front end, it almost feels like I'm driving on a rough road. If I switch it to 2WD or 4WD it stops.

Thanks,
Dan

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Chevry Trailblazer with transfer case problems

I wasn't driving the vehicle when all of this happened. My wife was. She said if felt like she hit a bump in the road. She looked back and didn't see a bump.

I have been told the A4WD is allows the vehicle to operate in 2WD until it senses slippage. Then it engages to 4WD. This can happen mulitiple times depending on road conditions. The engaging and disengaging is accomplished by a fork and bearing internally. If I am wrong, please somebody correct me.
The bearing is very small and can't handle the shock. I have seen this bearing and it amazes me how it could handle any shock.

I am not sure if this is related to what you are sensing or not.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
2,063 Posts
So if I'm reading into this correctly, either just use 2WD or use Hi4WD not A4WD and you should be ok?

Matt

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Chevy Trailblazer with transfer case problems

Let's put it this way, you stand a better chance of not having a problem if you don't use the A4WD and just use the 2HI and the 4HI.

I told my wife when I bought this vehicle for her not to use the A4WD. Until about a week ago she did just as I asked her to. The one time she decided to test the water we had an immediate problem.

There is an updated transfer case. I am not exactly sure what was done to "update" it. For the most part people don't fix things that are not broke, or in this case flawed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Grinding while driving

Ive been reading some of the posts that you guys have put up and i had a similar problem where while i was driving all of a sudden the car locked up, and came to a stop. After that the problem never happened again, and i driving fine ever since. . . Untill last night. Now it's making a grinding noise, like 2 gears are not working right, as soon as you start to move forward. Please respond to me, and let me know what i need to do.

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
I have a 2005 TB that is starting to do strange things when I put it in A4WD. What were the symptoms that the vehicle had prior to the transfer case failure?

I'm getting a pulsating in the front end, it almost feels like I'm driving on a rough road. If I switch it to 2WD or 4WD it stops.

Thanks,
Dan
With only one post, you probably won't see this but, I had the same symptoms. I changed the transfer case fluid and everything runs smooth now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Failed Transfer Case Bearing

2004 Chevy TB with a failed bearing in the transfer case, and YES I used the A4WD (thought that's what I paid the big bucks for). Original diagnosis was the actuator (wrong), then the computer module (again wrong). Now, I'm at $1300 and counting and they tell me its a faulty bearing in the transfer case. Seven days later, and I'm still w/o my vehicle. Replacement bearing ordered and received. Today I am told there was a design change and I needed a lever ordered. Should I infer this design change indicates the original design was BAD???: confused:

TBDriver

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think it's my Front end Transfer Case

OK all, well maybe I'm an idiot but something major just happened to my front end while I was in 4wd. I actually changed from 4hi to awd and then to 2hi while driving on the freeway. When I finally came to a complete stop and then started again **** hit the fan. I thought something was dragging, but now it appears (in my best estimation) that the transfer case blew out. There was oil all under the underside and like I said there I felt there was something dragging. At this point I don't really believe anything was dragging however. I think what ever is happening just gives me that impression. I have two questions, do you believe this sounds like a transfer case going bad. And secondly now that the front wheels are disengaged do you think I can drive it? It's Christmas season and I don't have the money to replace this if needed until next week. So can I drive it until then as long as I don't use the awd or 4wd? Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Sounds like serious stuff. Until you know where the oil came from, and there are four possibilities if you consider the fluid might be from the transmission, you risk more damage by any driving.

The front wheels don't totally disconnect like they have disconnectable hubs right near the wheels. The front differential still spins even in 2WD mode. The transfer case doesn't just drive the front wheels, but the rear wheels are driven by a shaft with gears in the transfer case, so if the fluid came from there, you could hurt it and then lock up altogether.

Sorry to bear bad news, and I hope you get this in time to totally check it out (fluid levels) before you get into a bad position and need an expensive tow.

Oh, and switching on the fly like that is no problem at all, assuming you were on slippery snow while you were in 4HI.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle_xl
22 Posts
I have an 05 Envoy XL 4X4. The transfer case has been leaking and has been taken out for repair 2X's. The last time @ 35,000mi. The tech resealed the case and replaced the bearings. He showed the bearing to me, the bearings were worn out. Now @ 38,000mi the 4X4 unit is leaking again, worse than before. I went back to the dealership yesterday and the service manager and tech checked it again, and the case is leaking, as I suspected. The mangers said he was going to make it good. Hats off to this honest guy. I needed a break for a change. He told them to order a new case. Has anyone seen anykind of TSB or recall for GM to replace the whole unit? Thanks V

1 - 20 of 61 Posts