Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed the transfer case fluid yesterday in my wife's TB. The owner's manual and the dealer both were no help in figuring out how much Auto trak II I was going to need. I read on here that I would need 2 quarts, so I bought 3. When I drained the fluid the front end was elevated and it looked like a lot more than 2 quarts in the drain pan. I leveled the TB off and proceeded to put in the new fluid. I got about 2 1/2 quarts in (lost a half quart or so to spillage) and it still wasn't full. I went ahead and dumped the old fluid in a 5 quart oil jug to see how much it was. According to the lines on the side of the jug I got just over 4 quarts of fluid out of it. I had no choice but to let the wife drive it to work today as I can't get more fluid until tomorrow. Luckily its not very far. So my question is why in the heck would mine take this much fluid and others only take 2 quarts? The TB's specs are 05 EXT, 5.3 V8, G80 rear.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Very, very odd. It's 2 quarts. Guaranteed. No more.

If you got 4+ qts out of it, it was overfilled before. What's the vehicle's history?

Are you certain you're using the correct plug to refill it and check the level?

It's item #14 in this drawing, not #21 (a speed sensor)

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We bought the TB with 30k on it, no service history, and now it has 55k. I am using the correct plug. The plugs were in good condition and came right out. Maybe it had been overfilled, but I don't know why anyone would have changed the fluid that early, and how in the heck would they force that much in? I guess if the back end was 4 feet in the air you might be able to get that much in there. I'm taking the TB over to my dad's shop tonight to make sure I can get it perfectly level to check the fluid again. My driveway is sloped and I tried leveling the TB using ramps, but it could have been a little low in the front allowing more than 2 quarts.

On a side note I'm almost starting to think my TB is some kind of pieced together experiment. I ran into a problem with PCM4less not being able to tune my PCM. They fried a few of there own PCMs when they tried to send me one, so I sent them mine. When I got it back the TB hardly ran and was doing all kinds of crazy things. I sent it back and had them reinstall the factory tune and it worked fine. They couldn't figure it out and I still haven't heard of anyone else having that problem

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
You should have the VIN run and see if it matches up with the list in the glove box. :m2:

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
81 Posts
I had a similar issue with mine, I was unable to ascertain the exact amount that was removed due to some spillage but it was definetly a lot more than 2 quarts. Then when I refilled it only took about 1.5 before it started to trickle out of the refill hole, stuck my finger in there and the fluid was right at the level of the hole so...I dunno. 2006, I dunno if there are variations on capacity based on year, who knows.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
1,282 Posts
I can see expansion based on the temperature of the AutoTrak II, but I dont even know how 4 quarts would actually "fit" in there :confused::confused:

When I serviced the transfer case on my 2002 Envoy, 2 quarts came out and about 2 quarts went back in. It was impossible for me to add anymore as it was starting to spill out of the fill plug.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
As far as I know, the TCs never changed over the years. The NVG226 (for 4WD with the LO range) and the NVG126 (AWD no LO range) are listed as having the same capacity in the shop manual. 1.8 L, 2 qts.

There must be a transfer case fairy going around at night, topping them off through the wrong hole. Maybe the vent tube fitting.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
22 Posts
I am having the same problem right now. I have an 05 XUV and I put two in and can touch any oil. I have the envoy level. I dont know if I need to go get more or just put the plug back in. The tag has GM226HD on it. What do you think?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts