Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My 2002 Envoy SLT has 81K miles and is running great (knock wood). I want to keep it running great, especially when it comes to the drive train. With that in mind.....

I've had the tranny flushed (3rd time in the car's life).

I've had the fluid changed in both front and rear diff at 60K miles.

I've never had the transfer case fluid replaced. Is this something I should be concerned about, and where can I find the procedure for it.

Thanks.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
The Owner's Manual says 50K for the fluid change. Run a search here on trailvoy, but basically, there's two plugs - fill and drain. You need a turkey baster or pump bottle with hose to get new fluid back in there. Only GM AutotracII fluid is allowed.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,203 Posts
Royal Purple Synchro-Max also meets Auto-Trac/II specifications and works great in GM cases requiring Auto-Trac fluid. Synchro-Max is the ONLY other fluid that meets the GM spec that I know of. It also tends to be easier to obtain and may be purchased at the Three Stooges and AutoZone, although the cheapest price I've seen is online via the Corvette Guys website.

I used a 2 ft length of vinyl hose attached to the bottle to squeeze in the 2 Qts, if you can get the truck in the air or raised a bit, it makes it much easier.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, so I got under the car to check it all out and noticed the rear diff is leaking. I had that fluid changed about 20K miles ago. I called the shop, and got quoted $69 for the xfer case change, and $125 for front seal change on the rear diff.

That sound about right ?.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
607 Posts
OK, so I got under the car to check it all out and noticed the rear diff is leaking. I had that fluid changed about 20K miles ago. I called the shop, and got quoted $69 for the xfer case change, and $125 for front seal change on the rear diff.

Don't know about the diff seal, but for the xfer case, unless you are in a spot where you can't or don't want to diy, it is VERY easy to do. You'll need a 3/8 hex bit (brake caliper bit about $3), 2 qts of fluid, and a drain pan. Remove the fill bolt, then the drain bolt, and get ready for a rush of fluid. Reinstall the drain bolt, fill, and reinstall the fill bolt.

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
Get a hand pump from Harbor Freight or Auto parts store. About $5. Makes refilling a lot easier.:m2: It will also come in handy for the front and rear differentials.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
423 Posts
just did a check, amsoil as far as I can tell doesnt make the fluid either. So your gona have to go with royal purple or the gm stuff.

ive never used royal purple. only amsoil. so i will have to take a look at what they have for this transfer case of ours.

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
I don't know about the RP, but the GM Auto-trak II is $8.00 per quart from the dealer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
before checking and replacing transfer case fluid, always double check the fluid types with your owner's manual. just to make sure or else it will be a big problem.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts

Sounds about right. I usually don't do my own work on my cars also. A lot of it isn't hard but it is a matter of finding time to do it. I think the transfer case fluid has a bad smell to it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts