Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_lt
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 07 TB 4x4 66,000 mi that just had a transmission power flush and transfer case fluid change less than 500 mi ago. I have often cycled from 2W through 4WL with no problems however, suddenly now after the change she won't grab hold of 4Low.

Is it me or could changing the fluid have caused a malfunction? I read the threads regarding transfer case problems but mine seem to coincide with the fluid change.

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
:tiphat Welcome :tiphat .Might just be a coincidence. Have you tried (with the ignition off) moving the switch back and forth a dozen or so times to clean the contact points?

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,708 Posts
I have an 07 TB 4x4 66,000 mi that just had a transmission power flush and transfer case fluid change less than 500 mi ago. I have often cycled from 2W through 4WL with no problems however, suddenly now after the change she won't grab hold of 4Low.

Is it me or could changing the fluid have caused a malfunction? I read the threads regarding transfer case problems but mine seem to coincide with the fluid change.
Who did the fluid change and WHAT did they put in the TC.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
I'm guessing it's a coincidence. In an emergency, like a continuous drip that you have to limp home with, ATF is OK for the TC. Older transfer cases used to use ATF, but the ones like we have with an A4WD mode and lots of clutch plates needed something with a clutch additive to prevent chatter. I only carry ATF in my spares box - no Auto Trac II.

So please describe what your failure is exactly. Not "grabbing hold" of 4LO doesn't tell me enough.

1) Does the encoder motor go through the noises and motions of going into 4LO (and no error lights flash), and when you try it, you're still in 4HI?

2) Does it fail to go into 4LO and the selector switch flashes at you indicating an electrical or encoder motor problem? Could you have forgotten that you need to be in neutral and coasting at under 5MPH when you try to go into LO? Could also be an encoder motor problem.

3) Does it go into 4LO and you get no torque through the TC at all, like it's in NEUTRAL?

4) Something else?

Oh, I just notice it's your first post. Welcome! I grew up in Gt. Barrington, and my Mom's retired in Pittsfield. How far west in MA are you?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok... I will try to answer all of these questions at once. I didn't expect so much help so quickly, thanks!

1) I have not tried to move the switch with the ignition off to clean the contacts but I will try that, ty.

2) Firestone did the change.

3) They had to go get the auto track II at the stealership and that is what I paid for so I certainly hope that is what they used.

4) The light flashes for a long time on the switch and it eventually gives up and reverts back to 4 hi. I don't hear anything while it's flashing.

5) For the first 6 months I owned the truck, I was unaware that you had to be in neutral to engage 4 Lo. I was in drive with my foot on the brake when I would try it out and it would always engage.

I'm in Easthampton, about 35 minutes from Pittsfield. You're on the wrong coast Roadie. The East is where it's at! :laugh:

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
4) The light flashes for a long time on the switch and it eventually gives up and reverts back to 4 hi. I don't hear anything while it's flashing.
And you're stopped and in neutral when you do this? Might need a dealer visit to diagnose with their tech tool.
5) For the first 6 months I owned the truck, I was unaware that you had to be in neutral to engage 4 Lo. I was in drive with my foot on the brake when I would try it out and it would always engage.
Very, very odd. The 4WD system is my specialty, and the shop manual says the neutral interlock is always operating.
I'm in Easthampton, about 35 minutes from Pittsfield. You're on the wrong coast Roadie. The East is where it's at! :laugh:
Not for offroaders like me. :cool: No scenery like this east of the Rockies.

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
Roadie, I got vertigo just looking at that last picture.:eek: That size perspective with the truck makes for a great picture!

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
239 Posts
And you're stopped and in neutral when you do this? Might need a dealer visit to diagnose with their tech tool.Very, very odd. The 4WD system is my specialty, and the shop manual says the neutral interlock is always operating.Not for offroaders like me. :cool: No scenery like this east of the Rockies.

I forgot what you guys were talking about after seeing those amazing pictures. :crazy:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
wow

That place is wicked cool! I'm still in love with New England though. Too much brown and red out there. And rocks, too many rocks... but awesome to look at.:eek:

So, after messing around with the switch while the truck was off it seems to work again. Go figure. Thanks.

Yeah, I've definitely put it in 4 lo before while in drive and while in park. I'm 100% positive of this. But, it's obviously not my specialty or I wouldn't be here!

I think I'll quit messing around with it for a while. Try it out in a couple of weeks and take it from there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.