Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my 02 TB LTZ 3 months ago, and have been hearing a clunk from behind the tranny for a while, especially when I shift into reverse. Also, in first and second gear, there is an intermittent grind on take off, and while shifting into 2nd. It's not loud but I can hear it and feel it, but it doesnt happen all the time. Decided to crawl underneath and take a look, thinking it was a problem with the rear diff. Well, there was fluid leaking out of the front of the rear diff, but I also noticed the position of my transfer case wad odd.

I took a closer look and, why it's still drivable, I have no clue, but the three bottom bolts where the transfer case hooks to the torque converter were sheared and the entire transfer case is rotated clockwise a quarter inch.

Now to my questions. What are the worst case problems that can result from this?

What can cause this to happen?

And last but not least, how hard, and how expensive will it be to fix it, granted I haven't done too much irreparable damage to other componenets?

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
5 Posts
I just bought my 02 TB LTZ 3 months ago, and have been hearing a clunk from behind the tranny for a while, especially when I shift into reverse. Also, in first and second gear, there is an intermittent grind on take off, and while shifting into 2nd. It's not loud but I can hear it and feel it, but it doesnt happen all the time. Decided to crawl underneath and take a look, thinking it was a problem with the rear diff. Well, there was fluid leaking out of the front of the rear diff, but I also noticed the position of my transfer case wad odd.

I took a closer look and, why it's still drivable, I have no clue, but the three bottom bolts where the transfer case hooks to the torque converter were sheared and the entire transfer case is rotated clockwise a quarter inch.

Now to my questions. What are the worst case problems that can result from this?

What can cause this to happen?

And last but not least, how hard, and how expensive will it be to fix it, granted I haven't done too much irreparable damage to other componenets?
Do you have a good, clear picture? I'm not sure I know what you're describing.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have any pics on my phone. Factory reset when I updated my os on my phone. Ive done a bit more research now. It's the bolts that connect the rear transfer case to the transmission. Then on the other side is the u joint that connects to the rear drive shaft. And I recently found out the rotation of my transfer case was more drastic than a quarter inch. And it sheared all of the bolts.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
672 Posts
I don't have any pics on my phone. Factory reset when I updated my os on my phone. Ive done a bit more research now. It's the bolts that connect the rear transfer case to the transmission. Then on the other side is the u joint that connects to the rear drive shaft. And I recently found out the rotation of my transfer case was more drastic than a quarter inch. And it sheared all of the bolts.
You're not driving the T.B. in this condition, correct ?

Sounds like someone smacked the hell out of the transfer case, as in rock climbing or off roading, etc.

No matter what the cause, those bolts need to be replaced ASAP, before you drive the vehicle.

I would be surprised if other damage is not discovered, such as a cracked or broken transfer case or tranny case.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts