Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and gals,
Just took a 470 miles trip last week on Tues and on Friday when I went out to the garage, noticed some kind of fluid had dripped on the driver's side behind the engine. Drove it for a bit (~50 miles) and parked over night. Next morning didn't notice anymore drips. Then Saturday drove it another ~50 miles and parked overnight. Then just today (Tues) went out to check on the TB and noticed the fluid drip again. Took it to my cousin's garage to use his lift so I could look under the TB and noticed that the Transmission fluid is coming out of a breather or air tube that is on top of the transmission. Checked the fluid level numerous times and couldn't get a good reading (car was warmed up, idling, in park, and on flat surface). It would read high, low, or normal everytime I would wipe off, put the dip stick back in, and pull it out. AND there would be bubbles in the transmission fluid and on the dip stick when I pull it out.

Anyone can chime in on the problem?

I had the filter and fluild changed 2 years ago which was about 20K-25K miles ago.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
434 Posts
Typically bubbles in the transmission fluid indicates an overfill situation. It is odd that you did not notice it before. Hopefully this is the only issue. Smell the fluid, see if you notice an odor. I would recommend a complete system flush and replace with a good quality synthetic Dexron VI fluid, 11-12 quarts. Not a Mobil 1 multi visc fluid, but a Red line D6(what I use), Amsoil or Royal Purple that meets the Dex VI spec.

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
To get a good read for trans or oil, I pull the dip stick out, wipe it off and wait for a minute or so to let the fluid or oil run back down the tube. I seem to get a better reading that way.:m2:

·
Registered
2007 gmc
159 Posts
Typically bubbles in the transmission fluid indicates an overfill situation. It is odd that you did not notice it before. Hopefully this is the only issue. Smell the fluid, see if you notice an odor. I would recommend a complete system flush and replace with a good quality synthetic Dexron VI fluid, 11-12 quarts. Not a Mobil 1 multi visc fluid, but a Red line D6(what I use), Amsoil or Royal Purple that meets the Dex VI spec.
x2. Sounds like an overfill but showing up 2 years later? Yes smell the ATF for a burnt smell. Is it still red or brown now? A flush would be good. Red line, Amsoil or Royal Purple. Make sure the tranny fluid is up to temp. Make take a 20 minute drive or so.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My cousin said it was possibly an overfill but it doesn't make sense to me b/c why is it showing up now and not before...

And when the fluid was checked, the TB had been driven for 30-35 minutes. So I don't know why we couldn't get a good reading.

The fluid is still red and does not smell burnt or anything.

I plan on doing a complete flush hoping this is will the problem. Do you guys think I should do the filter while I'm at it? Or is the filter still OK?

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,708 Posts
Are the bubbles just air or do they appear to be a fluid? Are you losing antifreeze, or is there a oily film on the top of the fluid in the overflow container? You could have a mixing of antifreeze and dex-III if the cooling tube in the bottom of the radiator is leaking. When you drain the tranny make sure you let the fluid set in a clear container for a while and see if anything settles out. And yes, change the filter.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Are the bubbles just air or do they appear to be a fluid? Are you losing antifreeze, or is there a oily film on the top of the fluid in the overflow container? You could have a mixing of antifreeze and dex-III if the cooling tube in the bottom of the radiator is leaking. When you drain the tranny make sure you let the fluid set in a clear container for a while and see if anything settles out. And yes, change the filter.
The bubbles seem like air and not fluid. I am not losing antifreeze, it is still full and orange. There is not an oily film in the overflow container. But when I change the tranny fluid and filter, I will set it aside in a clear container and see.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
That sounds good. Just another thing NOT to worry about. I would use DEX-IV when you do the change. I also added a Hughes tranny pan, finned alum. and it holds 2 extra quarts. Plus it has a drain plug in it as well.

·
Registered
2007 gmc
159 Posts
That sounds good. Just another thing NOT to worry about. I would use DEX-IV when you do the change. I also added a Hughes tranny pan, finned alum. and it holds 2 extra quarts. Plus it has a drain plug in it as well.
DEX-IV or DEX-VI? I would recommend a quality DEX-VI.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Sorry, yes Dex-VI. Typo

·
Registered
434 Posts
You cannot get an accurate reading because of the overfill. The fluid becomes aerated and the volume will vary. Just me, but I would also change the filter, especially since I assume that you have a Dexron III fluid in there now, and it needs to be a Dexron VI.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Flushed, new filter, synthetic trans fluid....problem still there. Did it last week Thursday and everything seemeed fine. After changing the fluid and filters, the dipstick read on the mark where it should and observed no dripping. Checked on Saturday morning after driving the vehicle for a while and went back to reading high reading (but no bubbles) and very small amounts of trans fluid dripping from the breather tube again.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Be sure that your fluid level is correct, checking on a level surface after the vehicle has been driven, and before the bubbles show up. Bubbles are usually a result of a high or low fluid level. If the level is correct, then look at the breather for being plugged. I know you said very small amounts come out of it, but it still could be plugged.
Also, are you sure the correct filter is in there? Meaning not a deep pan filter for a shallow pan or vice versa.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Flushed, new filter, synthetic trans fluid....problem still there. Did it last week Thursday and everything seemeed fine. After changing the fluid and filters, the dipstick read on the mark where it should and observed no dripping. Checked on Saturday morning after driving the vehicle for a while and went back to reading high reading (but no bubbles) and very small amounts of trans fluid dripping from the breather tube again.

Yes, after I changed with the correct filter (which is correct for my vehicle...deep pan), the fluid was read after driving around and on a level surface. It was correct. There were no bubbles.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Well, if you feel the level is good, then the next item is the breather. After replacing that, if it still bubbles, it is internal.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
looks like very little room to work around that area. how hard is that to do? Does it require dropping the tranny or anything? or do you think i can just stick my hand up there and do it?

·
Registered
434 Posts
I have not looked at this transmission yet to see how much room there is.(I have vertigo right now so laying under a vehicle is not an option) I would expect that the tranny mount would need to be removed to drop the transmission down a little for enough room. But I would get it done soon. Air does not lubricate.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
10 Posts
Transmission fluid dripping

I own a 03 envoy SLE with 78,000 miles and noticed recently fluid dripping, not a lot a couple of drips. I brought it into the dealer and the dealer noted the transmission fluid was overfilled by 3-4 quarts. I went back to my receipts and the last time I had anything done to the transmission was transmission service at 50,000 miles, it was done about 2.5 years ago by another GM dealer which has since gone out of business. On the receipt the quantity stated "16". I confirmed with the GM dealer "16" represents 16 quarts, and the most the transmission service would take is 10!!! :eek: Now I am concerned that for 2.5 years and almost 30,000 miles driven I have had too much fluid and may have caused damage. I am bringing it back to the dealer tomorrow morning they will suction off the excess fluid from the dipstick, add a dye and see if that fixes the issue. If not then I will get another transmission fluid service.

Now to my questions:

1. Is the solution right, or should I have the transmission service done ($249), concerned the fluid has been aerated and lost its properties???

2. Do I have any recourse at all with GM (does GM warranty the services of dealers) or with the dealer out of business, am I screwed if there is any damage?

Thanks!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts