Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

81 - 85 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
It's in the transmissions best interest to actually not just open a convenient plug and dribble out the fluid.

Filters are to be changed periodically.

Doing so perchance, affords one the opportunity of physically looking into the pan ... which is terribly and circumspectually inefficient when merely peering into such a small hole.

Failing in a most rudimentarily act ... one is never going to see how much metal the magnet captured nor how much clutch material is in the filter.

Do your transmission a favor... actually break down ... although it requires a bit more work ... and drop the pan.

PRESENTED BY: THE SOCIETY FOR THE PROTECTION AND PREVENTION OF CRUELTY TO TRANSMISSIONS

·
Registered
2003 Chevy Trailblazer LT
264 Posts
It's in the transmissions best interest to actually not just open a convenient plug and dribble out the fluid.

Filters are to be changed periodically.

Doing so perchance, affords one the opportunity of physically looking into the pan ... which is terribly and circumspectually inefficient when merely peering into such a small hole.

Failing in a most rudimentarily act ... one is never going to see how much metal the magnet captured nor how much clutch material is in the filter.

Do your transmission a favor... actually break down ... although it requires a bit more work ... and drop the pan.

PRESENTED BY: THE SOCIETY FOR THE PROTECTION AND PREVENTION OF CRUELTY TO TRANSMISSIONS
Yea thanks for the input. I figured it would be a better idea to just keep having the pan dropped. I returned the pan to advanced auto without any issues. I was pretty surprised they really didn't ask any questions. The guy said that they wouldnt refund me the shipping and on the reciept it said they didnt but I got an email from them and they actually refunded me the full amount to my paypal ! I was like sweet.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,040 Posts
Diamond193, glad things worked out for you.

While I agree completely with Ravalli about the need to remove the pan and visually inspect everything, I like to be able to drain some of the ATF between filter changes and add fresh in order to keep the additive package at close to what is contained in fresh fluid as is reasonably possible.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Yeah ---- BUT ---- would those between-times partial drains actually be done?

Personally --- I've never had a good reason to use or install a drain plug in a transmission. I know I'm too lazy and I'd misuse it.
"Next time" never happens.​

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,040 Posts
Yes, I do those partial drain and fills between pan drops and filter changes. Drain on the oil pan comes in handy when changing the filter because I make less of a mess when doing a filter change.

Plus, I actually use a real Dexron XX fluid (XX is current version of Dexron) instead of a "...compatible with all vehicles AT fluid requirements..." fluid.

81 - 85 of 85 Posts