Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

61 - 80 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Chevy Trailblazer LT
264 Posts
Story of my life lol my failblazer has 210,000 and my mech would never recommend a flush, period. Towed the 3-seater at least 4 times to and from the lake, and even the jet boat a few times. I replaced solenoids and have only ever done the filter/fluid never a flush, sometimes it shifts hard and sometimes it is smooth as butter. We could go on and on, my horn worked when I locked my doors this morning, but not when the girl was sitting at the green light with me stuck behind her. Take it with pride when it is issue free, and try not to overthink when its acting up. Good luck and I am curious to see what they tell you.
Thank you for the reply this is what he sent me this morning.

Drives fine, codes for evap and engine running cold. No data for any codes, no history trans codes!

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I could (and did) build a few of those THM125Cs, THM250s and THM200Cs on the bench at the same time to build up stock for when things got really too busy to build the customer's own (BCO) unit.

I would do each of them in sequence and install the same-o parts, during the same work period (BL or AL - before lunch or after lunch, but always on the same day) and every one of them turned out differently!

Not that they were bad, mind you - just "different" in that (what we used to call: the "color" of the transmission, or how it felt or was perceived to be) --- they were all slightly--- er ---> not alike.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
593 Posts
And don't even get me started with the quality of the parts supply... Dorman? AC Delco Advantage? Please please please folks... the guy at AutoZone is NOT A MECHANIC. He job is to sell you a part. Pick a part. Any part. He'll sell it to you.
We got an 87 El Camino in to rebuild the trans and boss said it had a 350 in it. When he raised it up I pointed out that it had a 250C in it, not a 350 and that a few things were different, especially the band and the valve body. Well he didn't want to go to Fort Worth to get the parts so he went to the Autozone where has has gotten a some tranny parts. They told him there was no such thing as a 250 and that it had a 200 in it. So long story short I have to go down there and show the guy how to find the parts. They don't know ****. Ended up going to Fort Worth.

Another time at Autozone I was at the counter while a customer was showing the counter guy a bearing he needed for a 700R4. It looked like the front bearing out of a standard and I told both of them there was no such bearing in a 700. Lol, parts guy told me to mind my own business! I just laughed.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
402 Posts
That's a whole new thread!
I remember those cars (X bodies) had 5 recalls before they ever hit the street.
My favorite was a second gear slip before the car ever left the dealership. Found the servo apply pin was short, and of course the part was on intergallatic back order. Car was sold so it was a critical situation.
Got out the welder, added a bit to the end, ground it down to the proper length, worked fine. Never saw the car again.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I always liked the THM250C ... with the Intermediate band. It worked good if it didn't have a lot of horses in front of it. But think for a minute ... the THM700R4 uses a band for 2nd and 4th ... and it works surprisingly well.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I always liked the THM250C ... with the Intermediate band. It worked good if it didn't have a lot of horses in front of it. But think for a minute ... the THM700R4 uses a band for 2nd and 4th ... and it works surprisingly well.
I never understood why the GM idiots wasted all the time and money to make the 250 when all they had to do was put a 350 in it.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I never understood why the GM idiots wasted all the time and money to make the 250 when all they had to do was put a 350 in it.
Yeah - ya got me there - I cannot figger why either. It wasn't a bad transmission - it was quite serviceable for what it was.

I never had to rebuild one for anything more than normal wear and tear - nothing ever grenaded or broke AFAICR.

I've still got my ATRA books on it - and frankly I don't understand the things corporations like GM did with some of the stuff they did. I've owned Corvairs, Vegas, Novas, Bel-Airs, Impalas, P40s, C20 tow trucks, C50s, C60s.

They had Powerglides, Flat Pan Hydros, 350s and 350Cs, Rock Crushers, 700R4s, 4L60s, 4L80s, 125Cs, 375Cs, 400s and actually enjoyed them all - had to rebuild a couple and reseal a few more, but all-in-all I found them to be so much better than Mopar of Ford could offer.

Currently I have 3 GMs in my driveway - 1) 2000 Astro van, 2) 1986 K5, 3) 2005 TB and of course, my 4) 1989 Isuzu Amigo - which I think is a mixed bed-partner creation of Toyota/Honda and Chevrolet.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Yeah - ya got me there - I cannot figger why either. It wasn't a bad transmission - it was quite serviceable for what it was.

I never had to rebuild one for anything more than normal wear and tear - nothing ever grenaded or broke AFAICR.

I've still got my ATRA books on it - and frankly I don't understand the things corporations like GM did with some of the stuff they did. I've owned Corvairs, Vegas, Novas, Bel-Airs, Impalas, P40s, C20 tow trucks, C50s, C60s.

They had Powerglides, Flat Pan Hydros, 350s and 350Cs, Rock Crushers, 700R4s, 4L60s, 4L80s, 125Cs, 375Cs, 400s and actually enjoyed them all - had to rebuild a couple and reseal a few more, but all-in-all I found them to be so much better than Mopar of Ford could offer.

Currently I have 3 GMs in my driveway - 1) 2000 Astro van, 2) 1986 K5, 3) 2005 TB and of course, my 4) 1989 Isuzu Amigo - which I think is a mixed bed-partner creation of Toyota/Honda and Chevrolet.

Same here. One weird one though, back in the day when I was learning how to do all the trannies I mis-matched the pump halves on a 400 because I didn't know any better. When we started it up after putting fluid in, it hit in gear really hard! HARD! And when it shifted it started slowing down really hard like you put a sprag in backwards. Well, I got out my trusty oil pressure gauges and hooked it up and started it up. The oil pressure was so high the gauge jumped out of my hand and was ruined! After we shut it off the needle was pegged on the top end of the pressure scale. I took the trans apart and the snap ring for the INT clutches had broken the lugs in the case that hold it in and allowed the INT clutch to push against the DIRECT clutch and bind it up. Musta had some really high pressure to do all that! Lesson learned, the hard way.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I had a THM350 come in for an overhaul and when I took the Intermediate clutches out - they were totally unused - as virgin as if they had just been installed last night.

I didn't really think too deeply on it (a big mistake) and I rebuilt it as I would normally build a 350 for a little old lady: no shift kit, a low stall/basically stock convertor and modest clutch gaps, etc.

It was good, delivered it to her and she came right back into the shop telling me the transmission wasn't fixed right.

I took it out for a road test - minimum shift points were right on ... mid-throttle was as perfect as you could get ... the whole unit shifted up and down perfectly so I went back and told her it was fine.

She told me to take her for a ride and she'd show me where it was acting badly.

I slowly rolled to the shop exit onto the street - accelerated and it shifted into 2nd.

"There's the problem" she yelled at me. "It's wrong and it never did that before".

I'm thinking she's nuts 'cause it shifts a nice clean boulevard/old lady shift each and every time - all three gear forward and one backwards. What else can she want?

Well ... after a few more laps around the block it finally dawns on me that she doesn't like the 1-to-2 shift. She's insisting it never did that before and getting to the bottom of what she thinks is wrong, I bet she never had a 1-2 shift before and that might explain the virgin Intermediate clutches in the unit when it came in.

I went back to her pile of used friction material and this time I counted the fibers - and sure enough --- there was one too many frictions in the Intermediate pack!

This unit had obviously always started in 2nd and then shifted to Direct and she had never felt it start from Low! This had to be a factory screw up - 'cause this was it's first rebuild she told me - she having owned the car since new.

Well - in the end, I had to take the unit out and stick another fiber in the Intermediate clutch pack and then it was just like it was originally - wrong - but like she wanted it. There was NO reeducating her - she'd owned this car since it came off the showroom floor and she KNEW what it was supposed to do.

The customer is always right - but they can be stupid at the same time.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I had a THM350 come in for an overhaul and when I took the Intermediate clutches out - they were totally unused - as virgin as if they had just been installed last night.

I didn't really think too deeply on it (a big mistake) and I rebuilt it as I would normally build a 350 for a little old lady: no shift kit, a low stall/basically stock convertor and modest clutch gaps, etc.

It was good, delivered it to her and she came right back into the shop telling me the transmission wasn't fixed right.

I took it out for a road test - minimum shift points were right on ... mid-throttle was as perfect as you could get ... the whole unit shifted up and down perfectly so I went back and told her it was fine.

She told me to take her for a ride and she'd show me where it was acting badly.

I slowly rolled to the shop exit onto the street - accelerated and it shifted into 2nd.

"There's the problem" she yelled at me. "It's wrong and it never did that before".

I'm thinking she's nuts 'cause it shifts a nice clean boulevard/old lady shift each and every time - all three gear forward and one backwards. What else can she want?

Well ... after a few more laps around the block it finally dawns on me that she doesn't like the 1-to-2 shift. She's insisting it never did that before and getting to the bottom of what she thinks is wrong, I bet she never had a 1-2 shift before and that might explain the virgin Intermediate clutches in the unit when it came in.

I went back to her pile of used friction material and this time I counted the fibers - and sure enough --- there was one too many frictions in the Intermediate pack!

This unit had obviously always started in 2nd and then shifted to Direct and she had never felt it start from Low! This had to be a factory screw up - 'cause this was it's first rebuild she told me - she having owned the car since new.

Well - in the end, I had to take the unit out and stick another fiber in the Intermediate clutch pack and then it was just like it was originally - wrong - but like she wanted it. There was NO reeducating her - she'd owned this car since it came off the showroom floor and she KNEW what it was supposed to do.

The customer is always right - but they can be stupid at the same time.
If she had put in manual low it would have bound up.

I had one kind of like that. It was an 84 cutlass with a 350 that had around 90k. It was burnt up but the INT clutches were like new. I thought nothing of it and when we got it put back in, it had no 2nd. 1 to 3 and the lock up. We jacked with it and couldn't figure it out so we pulled it back out. I couldn't find anything wrong with it! Boss man couldn't either. After really looking hard I found the the passage from the case to the pump had not been completely drilled and no fluid could get to the piston to apply the clutches. I drilled the hole out and it worked fine. They drove it for 90k mile with 1 to 3 then lock up and never knew it.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,040 Posts
Well, if your 03 TrailBlazer has the I6 4.2L engine and the 4L60E transmission (RPO Code M30), you ordered and received a Dorman 265-811, and it does not fit, then I would call Dorman at 1-866-933-2911 and ask them why it does not fit. The Dorman 265-811 fit my 04 TrailBlazer with the 4L60E transmission.

The only thing I can think of is that the transmission oil pan that was placed into the box was not a Dorman 265-811 pan. Packaging mistakes do happen.

Reactions: Ravalli Surfer

·
Registered
264 Posts
Well, if your 03 TrailBlazer has the I6 4.2L engine and the 4L60E transmission (RPO Code M30), you ordered and received a Dorman 265-811, and it does not fit, then I would call Dorman at 1-866-933-2911 and ask them why it does not fit. The Dorman 265-811 fit my 04 TrailBlazer with the 4L60E transmission.

The only thing I can think of is that the transmission oil pan that was placed into the box was not a Dorman 265-811 pan. Packaging mistakes do happen.
Im getting it back today ill find out what the deal is. Thanks for the reply

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,040 Posts
Well, the Autozone, O'Reilly, and NAPA websites all show that the Dorman 265-811 pan does fit your 2003 TrailBlazer.

Are you sure that the pan you have is being oriented properly when it is being placed on the transmission? Because these pans are more or less square, it is possible to orient them wrong when initially attempting to install them.

Just as an aside, the Advance Auto Parts online parts catalog is not 100% accurate. Many parts for my 1999 Silverado with the 5.3L engine and 2004 TrailBlazer show up as not fitting when they actually do according to the part manufacturers websites and other auto part stores websites. No online parts catalog is 100% accurate.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Well, the Autozone, O'Reilly, and NAPA websites all show that the Dorman 265-811 pan does fit your 2003 TrailBlazer.

Are you sure that the pan you have is being oriented properly when it is being placed on the transmission? Because these pans are more or less square, it is possible to orient them wrong when initially attempting to install them.

Just as an aside, the Advance Auto Parts online parts catalog is not 100% accurate. Many parts for my 1999 Silverado with the 5.3L engine and 2004 TrailBlazer show up as not fitting when they actually do according to the part manufacturers websites and other auto part stores websites. No online parts catalog is 100% accurate.
I did not see that it didnt fit in person I just dropped he pan off at the shop and told him to install it as one of the things that I wanted done to the truck. He told me it dosnt fit so I dont really know anything else other then that. Im gonna return it today. Its really not that big of a deal I can just get my money back. I guess ill just keep having him drop the pan and do a refill every year. I was hoping it would work thats why I bought it.

61 - 80 of 85 Posts