Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the mileage you guys go before you change the fluid and filter 30,000 or 50,000 ?

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
2,325 Posts
I believe the recommended mileage is every 100K, unless severe conditions have been experienced (like trailer towing, off-roading, etc.).

·
Registered
457 Posts
As a previous/now retired transmission shop owner.... I change my ATF & filter every year. Overkill? Probably.

I like to keep an eye on things that make it into the pan....

BTW..... these GM vehicles (TBs & Voyagers) have a nominally effective heat exchanger in the radiator and if you tow more than.... oh, say 3-5% of the time, it will overheat the unit and cut it's life short.

You can more than likely incorrectly install the auxiliary cooler and overcool the transmission.

Most people mean well.... but if a transmission is too cold it's just as bad as too hot but moreso because it always starts up cold ...... but may only overheat on a hard pull which may only be once in a while.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think 100,000 miles is crazy. I do tow a 5 bye 8 trailer with my brute force on it. So thats about 1800 pounds. Ill go through my paper work tonight and see when the last time is I had the fluid changed but I think it was less then 50,000 miles ago. Im about do to have it changed again. Cost wise I wouldnt change it everyear.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I think 100,000 miles is crazy. I do tow a 5 bye 8 trailer with my brute force on it. So thats about 1800 pounds. Ill go through my paper work tonight and see when the last time is I had the fluid changed but I think it was less then 50,000 miles ago. Im about do to have it changed again. Cost wise I wouldnt change it everyear.
It's only 5 quarts and a filter... the pan gasket is a Forever Gasket, so that isn't in the price.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts