Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So researching installing a transmission cooler, I see they are supposed to be installed after the OEM cooler in the radiator.

Would it be possible to run a flexible line from the OEM Cooler to the Auxilary Cooler, then replace the hard return line with a flexible line?

I don't want to have to do any cutting and flaring and splicing to tap into the return line for the auxilary cooler. I just want a one piece line from the auxilary cooler to the transmission. If so, what are the sizes of the fittings coming out of the OEM cooler and the return on the transmission.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
967 Posts
Of course. There isn't really any pressure in the lines to speak of. It just flows through. The last cooler I installed on a vehicle was installed exactly this way. The kit should come with enough flexible line to accomplish this. If not, just make sure that the line you buy is rated for transmission fluid. Other hose will probably work but will not last nearly as long. NAPA has a good selection of hose.

·
Basic Vendor- Skid Plates
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
3,700 Posts
FWIW, pressure in the lines depends on the restriction of the cooler/lines/etc, oil flow, oil temperature, and the restriction when it goes back into the trans...

I guess I don't know for sure how the 4L60E is set up, but I know the Allison stuff goes through the valve body, then the TC, then through the cooler, then back to the trans to lubricate the bearings and gears, before it drops back into the pan...

The fluid is capable of being 200PSI if there is restriction in the cooler or lines...

Mike

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My idea was to use some anodized AN fittings (straight connections where I can and 90 degree only if I have to) for the connections and maybe some stainless braided hose to dress it up a little. Maybe 3/8 or 1/2 inch hose ID?

Or maybe I should just save my pennies and get the PCMforLESS cooler kit?

·
3,700 Posts
My idea was to use some anodized AN fittings (straight connections where I can and 90 degree only if I have to) for the connections and maybe some stainless braided hose to dress it up a little. Maybe 3/8 or 1/2 inch hose ID?
Contact Jetttstream about the lines... I don't know what I'm supposed to say, and what I'm not, so just contact him and tell him what you're doing... He may be able to help you (tell him I sent you)...

Mike

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I may just go with the PCMforLESS kit. Seems to be a pretty solid, quality cooler and already has the components I was going to buy anyway.

Install will be done before my next trip to Southern Utah. Saw the trans temp get up to between 210-220 for a long stretch this last weekend. $300 now for a cooler is better than $2000 later if I burn up a transmission.

Pics will be included! I promise! :)

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well coming home from camping yesterday confirmed I'm putting in a cooler! As soon as the trans temp get to about 220, my TC won't lock up, and the temp just keeps climbing! I had to pull over and let the trans cool down before I could keep going.

·
3,700 Posts
That's a problem with the TC, then, not a problem with heat... Might be helped by a cooler, but I almost cooked my trans fluid on several successive starts on 25-30% grades, from a stop, with a 6500# trailer; and my TC still locked up just fine...

ETA, I've got Dex 6, so I'm certain my trans temp was in the 275-290 range for a short period, though I have no verification of that...

Mike

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have been wanting to upgrade the TC to a stronger unit as well. No stall increase, just something with stronger components.

Anyone know where I can find the specs for the stock TC so I know what i'm looking for?

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
1,282 Posts
The PCM4less trans cooler looks to be the cats pajamas, but Ive had my eyes on one of the b&m trans coolers with the integrated temperature controlled cooling fan!! Now THAT is cool stuff right there!! :cool:

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I have a new idea...

Based on this info from TCI, the outlet and return on the transmission are 1/4" threads, meaning that the stock lines can be removed and replaced with adapters for 3/8" hose barbs (http://www.tciauto.com/Products/TechInfo/cooler_fittings.asp).

Additionally, this little fitting could be used to connect hoses directly to the stock cooler in the radiator without having to cut the hard lines (http://www.makcotransmissionparts.com/OC-397.html).

In theory, I could replace the entire hard lines with 3/8" rubber hoses and incorporate an auxiliary cooler and possibly an inline filter as well very easily?

I also saw somewhere that the outlet and return connections on the transmission are the same as the snap-in connectors on the radiator? Does anyone know if this is true?

·
3,700 Posts
I don't know about the I6, but IIRC, on the V8, the cooler lines come really close to the exhaust... I serously suggest you to consider NOT doing rubber lines all the way...

Mike

·
PCMForLess.com - Sponsor
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_3ss
877 Posts
If you guys need some hardlines which are ready to use so you dont' have to cut your stock lines give us a call. We currently have way to much I6 hard lines in stock. They are ready to connect a -6AN line directly to them.

Of course we don't have to mention that we have a 100% Plug and play application for trailblazers (I believe it also fits envoy).

We also have a male/female adapter that we just finished up on the CNC lathe. We should be offering these for sale within the next week. I have roughly 100 made so we should be able to meet demand. The adapter is specific to the later year models, earlier year models used a smaller barb and will not work on the trailblazer.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.