Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I'm swapping my 08 trailblazer transmission and I ordered a remanned unit. The problem I'm having is the torque converters are different. The remanned trannys tc is bigger and sets closer to the edge of the bell housing then the one I pulled. My dad says change the flex plate and it will work. My issue I don't know what to order. I got 2 different Torque converter so I'm unsure if I need oem or something for a totally different vehicle. Thoughts. The guy at O'Reillys looked it up and said the one that came out of my trailblazer is for a 98 blazer/s10. The smaller torque converter.
Automotive tire Alloy wheel Motor vehicle Wood Rim
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Gas Automotive exterior
Cup Serveware Wood Gas Sculpture
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Locking hubs Vehicle brake
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Locking hubs
Grey Font Material property Pattern Gas
Font Publication Material property Gas Pattern

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
That sure looks like an S10 convertor to me too.

A lot of times, a custom rebuilder will use a smaller convertor to give the vehicle a lot more acceleration as it is going to be in conversion-mode much easier because the torque of the engine is very powerful on our L6 engines.
That's a way to take advantage of the L6 engine torque by letting the convertor actually do a lot more "conversion" from torque to horsepower.​

Torque turns your wheels from a standstill and horsepower accelerates the vehicle.

But the convertor should have a lockup clutch in it to let you cruise with no slippage.

I'd be VERY VERY suspicious that this original transmission is seriously race-oriented and has been custom built and shift-kitted and PWM-Deleted.

Installing a basically stock transmission is going to be a big disappointment.

I'd get the existing unit re-done if it were mine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That sure looks like an S10 convertor to me too.

A lot of times, a custom rebuilder will use a smaller convertor to give the vehicle a lot more acceleration as it is going to be in conversion-mode much easier because the torque of the engine is very powerful on our L6 engines.
That's a way to take advantage of the L6 engine torque by letting the convertor actually do a lot more "conversion" from torque to horsepower.​

Torque turns your wheels from a standstill and horsepower accelerates the vehicle.

But the convertor should have a lockup clutch in it to let you cruise with no slippage.

I'd be VERY VERY suspicious that this original transmission is seriously race-oriented and has been custom built and shift-kitted and PWM-Deleted.

Installing a basically stock transmission is going to be a big disappointment.

I'd get the existing unit re-done if it were mine.
How can you tell its been shift kitted and pwm removed? Sorry if it's a stupid question.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
The S10 converter is a big hint, but you'd have to be able to recognize most of a shift kit installation within the valve body. For other hints, you'd have to tear the unit apart.

You'll usually see an enlarged drainback hole in the front seal collection void.

It used to be that real Shift Kits had a small drop-in identification tag that we'd toss in the pan for the next guy to see.

There are "things" that a good bench-guy would recognize quickly:
A 3 inch 2-4 band​
MAYBE a Corvette servo ... some performance builders opt out of this as being too harsh for 2-4 shifts.​
A Z-Pack​
A PWM Delete​
A hardened sun shell​
Maybe a 5 element planetary ... a higher horsepower (read: "torque" here) necessity.​
Replacement of most important thrust washers with radial roller bearings.​
Front seal epoxied-in with a spring type seal retainer.​
A tapered - barrel shaped pump return spring.​
Brass tab-locked bushings replacing babbited, non-tabbed bushings.​
Convertor-depth adjusting washers/spacers.​
Other "Things"​

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The S10 converter is a big hint, but you'd have to be able to recognize most of a shift kit installation within the valve body. For other hints, you'd have to tear the unit apart.

You'll usually see an enlarged drainback hole in the front seal collection void.

It used to be that real Shift Kits had a small drop-in identification tag that we'd toss in the pan for the next guy to see.

There are "things" that a good bench-guy would recognize quickly:
A 3 inch 2-4 band​
MAYBE a Corvette servo ... some performance builders opt out of this as being too harsh for 2-4 shifts.​
A Z-Pack​
A PWM Delete​
A hardened sun shell​
Maybe a 5 element planetary ... a higher horsepower (read: "torque" here) necessity.​
Replacement of most important thrust washers with radial roller bearings.​
Front seal epoxied-in with a spring type seal retainer.​
A tapered - barrel shaped pump return spring.​
Brass tab-locked bushings replacing babbited, non-tabbed bushings.​
Convertor-depth adjusting washers/spacers.​
Other "Things"​
Thanks for the reply. Most of which I didn't understand lol. But dropped it off at a trusted garage for rebuild. Guy said should run around $600 range.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
What's gonna "run around $600.00 range"? A rebuild or put the reman'd unit in?

A $600.00 rebuild is very VERY inexpensive. Are you sure of that metric?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What's gonna "run around $600.00 range"? A rebuild or put the reman'd unit in?

A $600.00 rebuild is very VERY inexpensive. Are you sure of that metric?
May be a reman unit. Unsure. I dropped Tranny off and guy said be around 600 bucks and around 3 days. It's a guy my dad knows so may be getting a deal as well.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Sounds like he's net-net pricing on parts and not charging for bench labor nor hot tank.

That means he's making ZERO on the job, going to trust someone else to R&R the unit and supply a warranty too?

For the record ... a transmission can be destroyed by a bad R&R guy .......... just saying .......

Lessee ...

Reman convertor $225.00
Paper & Rubber kit $125.00
Friction/steels. $50.00
(Unit may need bonded pistons! ... so add another $75 .00 or so).
Bronze tablocked bushings $30.00
Pillow switches $30.00-$50.00
3 inch 2/4 band $40.00
Z Kit $30.00
Corvette servo IF it doesn't already have one - IF the rebuilder thinks it is a good idea.
Valve body solenoids, NEW not rebuilt! (a wildass guess here) $100.00 《 MANDATORY! 》
Front pump kit $40.00
Common bushings $40.00 (+/-)
Radial thrust bearing kit $30.00
Filter/pan gasket $11.00
Assorted hard parts $50.00-$300.00

..... quite a deal for $600.00!
My prices may be low as I haven't bought parts in a few years and there's always the Covid Factor to consider.​

Actually, everything is mandatory anyway and as for other parts - (just a few) - they are firmly suggested.

It won't require a Shift Kit again if it already has one nor will it need a new hardened sun shell nor planets if they are previously installed and are still serviceable

Hey .... make sure you get the intermediate seal replaced on your transfer case ... you don't want the transmission and the transfer case swapping fluids.. do you?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts