Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 Trailblazer 155K every morning when I start it, a whining noise comes from underneath the vehicle it goes away after 2 to 4 seconds after I star the engine, I have checked the fluids and they are all ok.

When I put it into drive it also makes the same whining noise as well as in reverse but it only does it for about 2 seconds. Once the engine and tranny warm up the sounds go away. When cold the transmission makes the same noise, but very faint, when shifting 1st to 2nd.

Transmission fluid and filter got replaced less than 500 miles ago, I don't know what problem might it be or what the cause is.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
20 Posts
My Envoy had all the underside fluids changed at 120K. I have the same issue and I can't figure out what I did wrong, if anything. I used Penzoil Dexron III. Fluid is up to where it should be. Hopefully I won't have to take the pan down again and take another bath....

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
438 Posts
Are you sure its the transmission? Under the drivers seat, outside the vehicle is a blower that will come on to feed the AIR system in the I6 engine. It makes a whirring noise normally but when they age and get ready to give up the ghost they can whine, rattle, make all types of different noises. They only run for a short time, and turn off when you start driving so you might think its the transmission whining when you shift out of second gear, but it might actually be the blower turning off at that point because thats when its programmed to shut off.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
20 Posts
TrailblazrI6, mine only makes the noise on first start up and lasts for a few seconds and goes away before I even move the shifter out of park. The noise showed up after I changed the oil and filter in the trans. I know that the filter was snug going back in. It of course also does it after sitting for a while and everything is cooled down. I am now wondering if I got a defective filter kit from Autozone and should have spent a few bucks more on the AC delco from the dealer.....
:bonk::thx

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
438 Posts
TrailblazrI6, mine only makes the noise on first start up and lasts for a few seconds and goes away before I even move the shifter out of park. The noise showed up after I changed the oil and filter in the trans. I know that the filter was snug going back in. It of course also does it after sitting for a while and everything is cooled down. I am now wondering if I got a defective filter kit from Autozone and should have spent a few bucks more on the AC delco from the dealer.....
:bonk::thx
Ahhhh....sorry, I didnt know you had just changed the fluid/filter. Very possible that it is in fact the pump whining in the transmission. I'd be taking the pan off and checking a. that the filter is seated fully in the grommet and b. that you didnt get a defective filter that is too restrictive or something along those lines!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is how I fixed this issue.

Turns out that sometimes the transmission fluid filter is defective. It happens more times than you think so. What I had to do, unfortunately, I had to drop the pan change the fluid filer and that is what fixed. Not sure if I installed the first filer incorrectly or if it was defective. This is where I would start, simply because after I did this I took care of the issue.

You may want to add a bit of Lucas transmission additive.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have the same problem with my TB.
I have changed the transmission oil and filter.. and after some time of driving this whining noise occured at cold startup and changing gears. After 5 - 10 min of engin idling everything is ok.
I have change the filter second time and after 3 weeks the same noise came back... at cold startup - but little bit less. I am sure the both filters was to deep pan; no problem with oil;
Dear colleagues what can I do now? Where is the problem?
I have just order third filter - now Acdelco; It is very irritating problem...
Any help, advice.. will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
20 Posts
I have the same problem with my TB.
I have changed the transmission oil and filter.. and after some time of driving this whining noise occured at cold startup and changing gears. After 5 - 10 min of engin idling everything is ok.
I have change the filter second time and after 3 weeks the same noise came back... at cold startup - but little bit less. I am sure the both filters was to deep pan; no problem with oil;
Dear colleagues what can I do now? Where is the problem?
I have just order third filter - now Acdelco; It is very irritating problem...
Any help, advice.. will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
I have been told that "I found a post about a similar situation & the problem appeared to be the plastic filter. My guess is that a sonic weld joint would break when the fluid would be pulled thru it, specifically when cold due to the thicker fluid then." So supposedly there are a bunch of bad filters out there. I tried Purolator from Pepboys and I tried a Wix filter from Amazon.... both made similar problems..... :hissy::hissy:

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
182 Posts
Ive got exactly the same problem. When I noticed the noise I stopped driving the tb. Ive been driving the minivan to work. I have to get this fixed to get my man card back. I am ordering a factory filter from the dealer so I can install that this weekend. Hopefully that cures it.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
20 Posts
Ive got exactly the same problem. When I noticed the noise I stopped driving the tb. Ive been driving the minivan to work. I have to get this fixed to get my man card back. I am ordering a factory filter from the dealer so I can install that this weekend. Hopefully that cures it.
Wheelieking, let me know if that cures the problem. I will try the same as it is getting very annoying!! Thanks!:thx

·
Registered
182 Posts
Well mandatory overtime for this weekend is posted at work so I will have to wait until next weekend to get this done. I will post up results when I get it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi All
I have just replaced the filter. The old one was FRAM FT1217A and made this noise on the cold start up; it was second one this brand installed after about month of driving; so, it means that these filters definitely cause the problem.
Now I have installed the ACDelco, part #24208576; No optical or dimensional differences between these two kind of filters I have noticed.
I have been driving one week since replacement; up to date no problem.
I will let you know for some time whether it solves the problem at all; because the old filters start to make this problem after 1 - 2 week daily driving.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
20 Posts
Hi All
I have just replaced the filter. The old one was FRAM FT1217A and made this noise on the cold start up; it was second one this brand installed after about month of driving; so, it means that these filters definitely cause the problem.
Now I have installed the ACDelco, part #24208576; No optical or dimensional differences between these two kind of filters I have noticed.
I have been driving one week since replacement; up to date no problem.
I will let you know for some time whether it solves the problem at all; because the old filters start to make this problem after 1 - 2 week daily driving.
Well come to find out the noise I have that I thought was coming from my trans was actually coming from one of my wheel hub bearings......

Also could do without all the unneeded advertisements!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Well come to find out the noise I have that I thought was coming from my trans was actually coming from one of my wheel hub bearings......

Also could do without all the unneeded advertisements!
I don't see any UNNEEDED advertisements in this post. If you have been keeping up with the thread the brand of filter is the root cause of the problem. We are all glad your wheel bearing was the cure for your issue but as I said, had you read the entire thread before you posted this you would realize a wheel bearing is a completely different situation. Wheel bearings make a roaring noise at all speeds. The noise we are having her comes from the trans when IDLING! How could that be a wheel bearing?

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
20 Posts
I don't see any UNNEEDED advertisements in this post. If you have been keeping up with the thread the brand of filter is the root cause of the problem. We are all glad your wheel bearing was the cure for your issue but as I said, had you read the entire thread before you posted this you would realize a wheel bearing is a completely different situation. Wheel bearings make a roaring noise at all speeds. The noise we are having her comes from the trans when IDLING! How could that be a wheel bearing?
Wheelieking,
My problem started right after I had changed the filter and fluid in my transmission which is why I suspected the filter and or oil to be the culprit of my problem. Not after taking it to an experienced Mechanic did he let me know that it wasn't the trans but in fact a wheel hub bearing that was going bad on my truck. I only had a roaring sound after 30 MPH. The Wix and OEM filters I used didn't make any noises at idle. Sorry for any confusion I may have caused on this.

If you aren't logged into the website, you do see every other post is an ad which gets confusing for anyone trying to find answers.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Oh sorry. I thought you were attacking him for the post. That got to me because this is the information I am seeking. I agree those adds you see when not logged in are very annoying. Especially when using a phone.

I still haven't changed my filter yet as we have been working seven days a week. I don't know the brand of filter i got but I bought it at Advance. My noise is definitely coming from the trans because I have slid under the truck while idling.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
20 Posts
Oh sorry. I thought you were attacking him for the post. That got to me because this is the information I am seeking. I agree those adds you see when not logged in are very annoying. Especially when using a phone.

I still haven't changed my filter yet as we have been working seven days a week. I don't know the brand of filter i got but I bought it at Advance. My noise is definitely coming from the trans because I have slid under the truck while idling.
Wheelie,
I have heard that the ones from Advanced are no good and the one I got from Pep boys was the bad. The one I got off Amazon, Wix, and from the dealership didn't make the start up noise any longer. If you have the chance, take it back and pay the hefty price for the OEM one from the dealership... Just an idea....

·
Registered
182 Posts
When I do finally get time off to change it I will go OEM. I don't want to risk it again. The OEM is pricey. $56 at my local dealer.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi wheelie
I also suggest you to proceede with original filter... Who knows what happens in the transmission with those bad filters... It is something mysterious...:confused:

·
Registered
17 Posts
After 3 weeks of driving and starting in a cold weather (-10 deg. C) there is no any noise from transmission while original filter was mounted.
I think that the problem was solved. :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts