Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

I have an 05TB that sat for about 6 months while I was trying to decide what I wanted to do with it. I came to the conclusion that I wanted to send it on its marry way so I set about prepping it as it had been sitting. Ran great for about 2 weeks then on my way to work one day there was a huge plume of smoke behind me and drive became neutral.

The tranny had blown fluid out of the fill/check tube. Let it sit for a while to cool down, then decided to attempt to limp it home as it wasn't far and all back roads so I could take it slow. In drive it wouldn't shift from first but I could manually shift to second and third, second felt fine, third felt a little slippery.

Got it home with the intentions of swapping it, as I have a totalled truck with a perfectly operational tranny, but between weather and work it has been sitting for another 2 months. Decided to just sell it as is and thought I'd see if it would still move at all. First and second have no slip, third is still slippery but there and it will not shift automatically or to OD.

So then I got thinking that maybe the shifting is just bad solenoids or a valve or something that may be easier and less time consuming than completely swapping.

I can't find anyone on the internet with these symptoms so I thought I'd ask for myself.

It's an 05 TB EXT 4x4 with the 4.2, 123,xxx miles

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
311 Posts
Blowing ATF Is almost always from something got realy REALY hot and fluid flash-boiled.

Fords do this when the Overrun Clutch is made to handle the power from the engine for a moment until Direct takes over on a full throttle downshift from 4th/OD. I've seen it blow the dipstick up denting the hood and drenching the engine and compartment.

700Rs and 4L60/80s don't t typically do that.... but if OD is hung, it can flash-boil the fluid. I kinda doubt a solenoid could've done that.

The OD pressure plate used to crack on these units.....then overlap..... and kept pressure on the frictions of the OD. I hoped that had been cured by now.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts