Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_ss_1ss
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After an aborted attemp to install a Derale cooling transmission pan, I was laying under the truck studying the layout. The reason the Derale pan wouldn't go in was the Y-pipe right under the rear of the pan. Then it occurred to me that the heat from the exhaust must be adding a lot of heat to the transmission fluid in this configuration. Was this contributing to some of the failures of the 4L70 that I've been reading about? I searched the forums for some insight into this idea, but found nothing. So, I'd like to hear from anyone who has any creative ideas or mods that moves the exhaust pipe away from the transmission pan. I can certainly add a auxiliary tranny cooler if necessary, but removing the source of the heat, if it is practical, would be a better solution in my humble opinion.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
826 Posts
I know nothing about the pipes on the SS. But for a cheap fix ,You could put Exhaust and Header Wrap around it at that point ,some people say that it gets wet and causes it to rust,But the pipe stays worm and dries it out when it sits.

Or you can make your own heat shield out of sheets of aluminum and rap it haft way around at the top and clamp it on with hose claps .I have done this to keep the heat out of the floor on the passenger side and works well,But you have to space it away from the pipe." just some cheap ideas"that work

And i would get a cooler anyway, cant go wrong. I have one ,made a big difference.

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_ss_1ss
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ended up installing heat wrap on the section of pipe under the trans pan and installing a trans cooler.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts