Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
OK, you guys. I've been putting this project off for over a year, but I had to clean out the Roadiemobile after the Moab trip, so I decided to just get it over with. Total inventory pics.

For some odd reason, I wasn't carrying my container of spare lamps. Didn't notice it until I was spreading everything out on the driveway. ALso I carry a spare CV shaft underneath where the spare tire used to be. That's not pictured, either.

Otherwise, enjoy this collection of stuff I've been collecting for camping trips starting in 1973, when I got out of college and started doing more outdoors things.

·
Basic Vendor- Skid Plates
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
3,700 Posts
so, uh... you say your springs are taking a set... :eek:

Actually, there's one thing that I ALWAYS carry, that I didn't see there (unless it's the top tube in bag 1... that looks like a small spray adhesive spray, though)... JB weld has this putty called "water weld", that you cut off a piece of, mix up (it's rolled up with hardener, so when you kneed it, it mixes, then sets), and stick it to whatever you just put a crack in (oil pan, radiator, diff, T-case, trans, etc)... The stuff sticks to wet/oil/antifreeze, etc... I have a tube of this stuff in every vehicle I have...

Mike

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
There are any other brands besides HiLift? :cool:

The OEM jack is uselessly short. I used to carry a small Sears floor jack, but gave it to my son-in-law because he needed it and I never used it.

Been seriously considering adding the ARB X-jack, until the little budgetary restriction came along...

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
2,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Wow Bill... I was just expecting a list, thanks for the photo tour! You've got me well out-prepared!

The OEM jack is uselessly short.
I think quite the opposite! I use the OEM jack all the time! It all depends on where you place it. If you try to lift at the frame, yeah, you may not get the tire very far off the ground... but that's not the correct placement for the stock jack. The stock jack should lift directly under the rear axle tube, or under the lower control arm at the lower strut mount. Lifting there gives me plenty of tire displacement.

(Plus, it fits perfectly in the hi-lift base.)

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Wow Bill... I was just expecting a list, thanks for the photo tour! You've got me well out-prepared!
I figured a mere list would be met with the typical response. "no pics - didn't happen" :D
I think quite the opposite! I use the OEM jack all the time!
Maybe for working on the vehicle at home? For that I have a full-size floor jack. When I get stuck, the axle tubes won't have clearance to get a jack underneath. Like in Colorado.

I suppose I could throw it in, though. What's another couple of pounds now I have the EXT axle? :eek:

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Maybe for working on the vehicle at home? For that I have a full-size floor jack. When I get stuck, the axle tubes won't have clearance to get a jack underneath. Like in Colorado.
Well, it may not have merit in all situations, but for replacing a tire on or off the trail, I prefer it. When you lift at the axle there's a lot less work involved. You only have to lift the axle 2" vs. a foot or more if you lift from the slider. :m2: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2008 gmc envoy_denali
93 Posts
Wow! Not only are you prepared for pretty much anything, but you've prepared multiple backup plans. If something goes wrong while fixing whatever went wrong, Roadie is there! :p

I nominate Roadie as the Head of the Department of Redundancy Department! :hail:

·
Banned
chevy
12,260 Posts
There are any other brands besides HiLift? :cool:

The OEM jack is uselessly short. I used to carry a small Sears floor jack, but gave it to my son-in-law because he needed it and I never used it.

Been seriously considering adding the ARB X-jack, until the little budgetary restriction came along...

Now thats a cool jack! I need to look up its specs.:cool:

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
... If something goes wrong while fixing whatever went wrong, Roadie is there! ...
The danger, of course, in OVER-preparedness, is that carrying too much stuff CAUSES the problem. Then the stuff lets you fix the problem while surviving in style moaning the fact that you brought too much stuff. :weird:

I bet 500 pounds of my stuff could be replaced by what Teebes brings on some trail runs. A 70 pound dog (substitutes for the cold weather sleeping bag and emergency food supply. :cool: ) and a 150 pound dirt bike. (Substitutes for spare parts, tools, etc.)

But I don't need to carry his stuff, if I could whack him over the head and take his stuff. But he's sneakier and younger and all that, and probably is thinking the same thoughts about me and my stuff. :crackup:

When his sister met up with us in Lake Tahoe for the Rubicon Run, carrying her own dirt bike escape vehicle, the dynamics of my plan went seriously awry. :eek:

·
Banned
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
371 Posts
HA :crackup:

That reminds me, still need to fix my dirt bike. It crapped out on my last time and left me stranded a couple miles from camp :ugh: Apparently water getting sucked in the carb isn't a good thing :rotfl:

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Bill, I know you have bridging ladders too.

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=44314&highlight=bridging+ladders

Where have you needed to use those? What are some of the applications? I'm on the edge on these. There are a couple trails around here that I'm thinking these could really help on, but I'm hoping you can talk me into it completely.

I'm thinking I need them... :D

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,236 Posts
For a little baby step like that? :dielaugh:

Oh, that's right, you guys are wheeling Trailblazers... :duh:

Just gigging you a bit. The stuff in that picture is pretty tame compared to what we do with the rock rigs that we wheel. :D

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
I used them only once for real, and that was in Colorado after I lifted the wheel up and the ladder was easier than dragging over rocks.

I could have used them a couple of times in deep sand where I used the winch and PullPal instead, as a test.

And the incident that made me buy them was my first paid trail guide gig, where I got up and down a step but the Cherokee with me didn't have the clearance or sliders. We stacked rocks for him for a LONG time.

Only one vehicle in a group needs to have them, but in your group, it seems you're it.

I understand tame. I embrace tame. It's just my definition expands every time I make it through some other obstacle. Doubt any other trailvoys ever touched Fins'n'Things, and I would have done Lion's Back had it still been open. Sigh.....

We're Expeditionists, not Rock Crawlers, but you know that. :tiphat

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,236 Posts
Yup -- I know that. And I admire it.

Just couldn't miss out on a chance to toss some crap in your direction.

Oh, and the ladders are not that bad an idea. I can think of a dozen times when they would have been useful -- like a place to hang laundry to dry, an extra grate over the camp fire... :dielaugh:

(I'm thinking it has been a REALLY LONG week at work, and you're the guy getting the funny-bone side of me tonight.)

Blessings, brother!

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
I can think of a dozen times when they would have been useful -- like a place to hang laundry to dry, an extra grate over the camp fire...
I've been looking for a way to do a quick-release mount down lower for them, so I could use them as a table or stove carrier. Hinged down from the rear bumper, they'd only require one adjustable leg to reach the ground.

I understand about the crap. Just don't jab too deeply, like I did accidentally to the mall-crawlers, because this IS trailvoy.com after all. :raspberry

(And I seem to have gotten an unannouced promotion today, so my super-powers are even better than before! You could disappear and nobody would ever know you had been here - just a greasy stain in the archives. :dielaugh:)

21 - 40 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.