Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
2,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The key to a successful off roading adventure is making it back home. Before anyone sets out on a trip they should ask themselves the following questions:
What are the possible ways I may get stuck?
If I do get stuck, am I prepared to extract my vehicle?
If I can't, am I prepared to spend an extended time at that location?
Am I able to make any necessary repairs to the vehicle?
If the weather turns sour, am I able to stay warm/cool and dry?
How will I locate aid?
If I am injured, can I treat myself?
Do I have the means to call for assistance?

I'm thinking this thread could serve as a list of items that may be a good idea to bring. This list was originally based off what I carry (plus some extra stuff). I'd like to know what you guys carry, as I'm always looking to expand my own equipment.

Recovery
Receiver shackle (or other rear recovery point)
Front tow hooks (or other front recovery point)
Snatch/recovery strap
Tree saver strap
Winch extension line/strap
Hi-Lift
Hi-Lift lift-mate
Hi-Lift off-road kit (winching kit)
Hi-Lift off road base
Bottle jack
Shovel
D shackles
Gloves / eye protection
Staun tire deflators
Heavy duty compressor

Communication
Cell phone
CB radio
2-meter
SPOT

Navigation
Paper maps of trail system
Compass
GPS (handheld, car navigation, or laptop)

Survival
Extra set of clothes
Cold weather/ wet weather clothes
Medical kit
Water (amount depending on your distance from civilization)
Food (amount depending on your distance from civilization)
Flares or signaling device
Waterproof matches

Camping
Tent
Sleeping bag (appropriate to climate)
Air mattress/ ground pad
Food
Stove/grill
Lantern/head lamp

Repairs
Tire iron
Leak sealant
Emergency jump starter
Impact wrench
Impact sockets
Socket set
Allen wrenches
Rewiring kit
Tire repair kit

Spare Parts
Fuses
Matching tire
Engine oil
PS fluid
Brake fluid
4WD switch
Ignition switch
Spare bulbs
Gasoline

So, anyways... what do you guys carry when you go on an off road trip? Or maybe the better question is, what would you realistically like to carry?

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,708 Posts
If everybody listened to you and this list, Search And Rescue would be out of busness... Good Job, and Listen up people and Learn!!!!

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
326 Posts
The only thing I dont carry that you do is the winch extension line, hi lift (which I really need to get) and a SPOT. Adding to your list, I also carry a 5 gal jug of water, 2 gallons of drinking water, extra antifreeze, oil filter, oil and air filter (just in case I do take in any water)

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
425 Posts
i would add:
DUCT TAPE(can fix anything:laugh:)
2 cans fix a flat.
a portable 12 volt air compressor to inflate tires or use air tools.
the BFH (big fing hammer)
good set of tools(pliers, wrenches, sockets,
Electrical tape
hose clamps
Zip ties
Ratchet straps
RTV sealent
JB Weld
Fire extinguisher
i also always try to go with another person in another rig.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
970 Posts
in addition to that i always say carry a firearm(wherever you may be driving...be it detroit...the artic...woods...field...desert...whatever)

provides protection from animals and criminals,can work as a signal...can provide food etc...

i say keep one in any survival kit

i keep duct tape and trail marking tape

also...an ice scraper with a brush...if i get too much mud or something on anything then i gotta get it off

im rather ill equipped for serious offroading...mechanically financially and my experience is somewhat lacking

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The only thing I dont carry that you do is the winch extension line, hi lift (which I really need to get) and a SPOT. Adding to your list, I also carry a 5 gal jug of water, 2 gallons of drinking water, extra antifreeze, oil filter, oil and air filter (just in case I do take in any water)
Sorry I didn't make it clear. I have 90% of those items, but not all of them. I don't carry a SPOT, but have noticed them in Bill and Alek's arsenal. I carry two tanks of water, one is a 7 gallon hard tank that goes on the roof, I also have a smaller 5 gallon flexible bladder. I learned my lesson on that one, and now only carry that one inside. I don't carry antifreeze, because water can be used to top off that system.

i would add:
DUCT TAPE(can fix anything:laugh:)
2 cans fix a flat.
Fix-a-Flat can be a handy alternative to a good compressor and a tire plug kit. I don't like the mess it creates. Duct tape is pretty useful for camp fixes, not really as useful for fixing the truck though. :laugh:

in addition to that i always say carry a firearm...

i keep duct tape and trail marking tape
I agree that sometimes in the back woods, it's nice to have the added comfort of the firearm. Trail marking tape is a good idea inside a survival kit. I'll have to add that to my survival kit, thanks!

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
970 Posts
well im an avid woodsman,so i tend to keep trail marking tape anyways.
(it is also why a firearm goes with me every time i leave the city,depending on where im going and what im doing i carry anything from my ruger 10/22 or my remington 870 all the way up to my mosin nagant...if any of you want pics just message me)

if your not using maps or for some other reason...

you can mark which way you go on the trails if you need to get back

mark obstacles of concern for a convoy

it has like a 30 pound breaking strength on the cheap marking tape,so it can be used to tie down stuff

all kinds of things.

speaking of firearms,i want to get into a mixed mini topic here,

gun racks...like in the back windows...

anybody know of a manufacturer making them for the trailblazer?

preferably a rack that goes behind the seats(idc whether its front seats or back)

i cant wait to get my lift and do some serious stuff...but this is still the family car until my mom gets her precious hybrid

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
gun racks...like in the back windows...

anybody know of a manufacturer making them for the trailblazer?

preferably a rack that goes behind the seats(idc whether its front seats or back)
Since thats more of a vehicle mod, why not make a new thread? Lets keep this one on topic. ;)

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
After living in Oregon for 20 odd years and Las Vegas for 12 or so years I am somewhat ashamed to admit that I take very little with me on one or two day expeditions. After getting all the prospecting and mining equipment on board the TB is quite full. I have thought about getting a small trailer but some of the trails I end up on would not work well with the trailer. When we move back out west I must give this my top priority for safety's sake. I do not want to become a statistic.

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
I don't have everything, but seeing it as a list, I have more than I thought, but could definitely do some better prepping in some areas.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
276 Posts
For those a little limited on space, you might consider a CO2 tank, it can be used to run air tools, inflate tires and has other uses. Not overly expensive to fill and won't tax an eletrical system. Typically small in size for the engergy they can create and non toxic unless your huffing the gas as it's released, which means you deserve what happens to you.

Just another simple, yet valuable item to add to the list.

·
Registered
2008 gmc envoy_denali
93 Posts
Goes without saying, but I don't know how many trips I went on with friends, and the only Toilet Paper we had was the roll I keep in my fishing bag... :hahano:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Back in the day my dad carried an extra U-Joint in the glove box and the tools to put it in. One of those emergency foil blankets would be a good idea also. In the Army every vehicle has a florescent orange panel that can be seen from the air very well, something to consider.

·
Basic Vendor- Skid Plates
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
3,700 Posts
Yeah, I did forget about that... I happened to think of it because when the wife and I were in the GWNF, there was a ~16" tree across the trail, with a cliff on the uphill side, and a VERY steep hill on the downhill side. It wasn't something that could be towed out of the way without cutting, because there was a pretty large root ball on one side, and a the other side had fallen between 2 trees... It had already been cut, so we were good to go, but I sure wouldn't want to be on the far side of it when it fell down...

Mike

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Chainsaw, good call! I had forgotten about that one. I'm actually thinking of following Splivkramer's lead during TECORE and getting a cordless 18V Dewalt reciprocating saw to match my other tools. Sure it won't take out a 36" log very well, but it certainly can help with firewood and smaller trail obstacles. I'm adding it to the 'need-it list'.

TP... of course that's a necessity unless you like using leaves... that's one of those things you can easily forget though.

Compressed CO2 works similarly to a compressed air system. I'd like to hard mount my compressor in the engine bay someday and hide an air tank somewhere. I believe Bill runs a powertank. The only problem I have with it is that filling your tires with CO2 is just kinda strange... and what happens when you run out?... I like the idea of flipping a switch and replenishing the tank on the spot.

Keep the ideas coming!

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Cell phone and a credit card...

:duh::duh::duh:

:raspberry:raspberry

Actually, the lists above are pretty good. A few things I carry in addition (or substitution) for the above, are a power inverter, my Snap On 18V impact, w/ a bag full of assorted tools and trail goodies (hose clamps, various sorts of tape, screws, wire, hose, etc.).

I also carry a large coffee can w/plastic lid and rolled up inside is a small tarp. I've used the can on almost every single wheeling trip, from an emergency drain of the t-case when it got filled with water, to a portable bathroom, it fits the bill time and time again (of course, I use a new can often). The tarp is especially helpful when you discover that the place your truck decided to break was right in the only mud hole in 3 counties. :undecided

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.