Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody ever think to swap out the hubs from our gmt 360 trucks(6x5)pattern from that of a tahoe/avalanche/ escalade (6x 5.5)

So you ask whats the point?....Well gm offers more vehicles with the 6x5 lug pattern...Which in turn results with a larger availability of aftermarket wheels..

How often have trailvoy owners searched for a decently priced set of wheels?....For the most part "decent" doesnt coincide with trailvoy wheels..

I find wheels quite frequently for tahoes,escalades,yukons etc , 20'+ starting @ $500 with tires!!!!

They also have a vast assortment of offsets,wheel widths,wheels sizes etc..

Now with the available offsets we would be able to run much a much taller/ wider tire....:m2:

·
Banned
2004 gmc envoy_sle
3,097 Posts
If it were an easy swap that would be great.... but I would say it would cost more then it's worth. The front would be ok as long as the hubs would bolt up and the abs sensor would interface with our system. As for the rear I'm not sure how ours are but we might need new shafts made to fit? I don't know, the thought is a good one, I just wonder what it would take:undecided This would be a pretty popular swap for a company to come out with though, I know I'd be interested in it for the bigger rim selection:yes:

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,614 Posts
i've thought about this, but it would be easier to get wheel adapters...

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Agreed that wheel adaptors will be much easier and less expensive...
But Id rather spend more money with the hubs....I'm kinda biased to not negatively effecting the suspension geometry....
I am quite questionable about spacers/adaptors on a 6,000 lb vehicle....:
I could care less about abs, it sucks, I have it disabled anyways....

Im more concerned about axle shaft spline count vs. mounting location....

:m2:

·
Basic Vendor- Skid Plates
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
3,700 Posts
But Id rather spend more money with the hubs....I'm kinda biased to not negatively effecting the suspension geometry....

You're right... Who wants to be able to steer in a pannic situation? I say lock 'em up and pray! (and stop slower than if you had ABS in all situations other than unpacked snow and gravel).

Mike

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
3,329 Posts

Roadie, Teebes, JD, Unkjon, and many others on here have done some SERIOUS off-roading with spacers...

bartonmd said:
You're right... Who wants to be able to steer in a pannic situation? I say lock 'em up and pray! (and stop slower than if you had ABS in all situations other than unpacked snow and gravel).

Mike
HAHAHA... yeah, i agree Mike...

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Anybody ever think to swap out the hubs from our gmt 360 trucks(6x5)pattern from that of a tahoe/avalanche/ escalade (6x 5.5)
Yes. Of course. I almost bought a used Tahoe hub to measure up.

First problem is the spline count, as you mentioned. The Tahoe CV shafts are beefier, to match their larger front diff. So you'd have to buy Tahoe CV shafts and send them off with some trailvoy CV shafts to a CV shaft remanufacturer like http://www.cvunlimited.com/ to splice the two kinds together.

Then you would have to buy Tahoe brake disks or redrill the existing ones to match the new studs. If you put on Tahoe disks, then there's caliper issues.

It's a never-ending chain of things to mod. And at the end of the projects, what have you gotten? A hub that would fit more wheels without needing spacers. But if you're intending to put on 33-34" tires, you're going to want to go wider (probably) and then you NEED spacers to clear the upper ball joint unless you find wheels with 0 offset.

I like my spacer/adapter solution because I got to spend more $$ on tires, which is where all the magic really happens in regards to offroad traction. Teebes even has black steelie wheels so he could save money there to use some more instead on tires. Not the cheapest wheels around, but he's got his priorities right to not compromise on tires, which is the only way he and I were able to hit the Rubicon last year.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts