Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey SS brotha's,

I just posted a reply to a similar thread on the site, but then noticed it was in a non-OEM forum - So I'm thinking posting it here in the OEM forum is a better place

So I blew my motor - 2006 SS (6.0 V8 obviously) with about 40K.
Bad knock after losing oil pressure without warning and the loud knock hit my ears right about when the "turn off engine" message hit my message center

Facts/questions about my vehicle history and present condition:

1 - never had more than 1 quart magically dissapear between oil changes
2 - used mobil 1 (GM seal / approved OEM oil) synthetic since day 1 - first oil change at 3,000 miles and changed every 5k to 7500k thereafter
3 - I check my oil every 10-14 days, and somehow there was over 3 quarts missing in between checks this time! So in about 1000 to 1500 miles of driving, how could i be missing 3 quarts of oil with NO LEAKS and no history of burning more than 1 quart over 5k - 7500 miles? I drive about 50 - 100 miles a day on average. What could have triggered this?
4 - metal found in oil pan (this is to be expected after missing 3 quarts of oil and blosing a rod I assume?)
5 - I assume this is what blew my rod. Do I have a legitimate case against GM for having them provide some sort of assistance or retribution or providing some sort of good-will gesture to help me with my expenses and repairs because I am out of warranty - or am I basically beat!?!?
6 - I got a used replacement motor from another SS with half the miles (19K) than I had thamks to Geico mechanical breakdown insurance ($250 deductible).

GM said if I wanted any case opened I would have had to go to their mechanics/dealer. Is this right? Why would I want them to tell me if the motor failed prematurely or had an underlying issue, or if it was negligence? Wouldnt I want a neutral party? (which I did choose, the neutral party. Also, Geico would only tow me a few miles and a GM dealer was further than that, so more unnecessary expense for me if I towed to GM.

I am out about $1000 plus my DDM just went bad too! Bought a junkyard DDM and now my locks and windows work, but my upper AC vents dont blow air! Another expense to have this reprogrammed!

I have 42K now on the vehicle ...

Been to the dealer 8 other times in 3 years for squeaky belts, recalls, Service stabilitrak message, bad fuel gauge/tank floater/sensor, etc

What do I do? Chalk all this up as cost of driving an SS? anyone with similar issue or experiences?

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ss_lt
61 Posts
same exact thing happened to my engine, knock, oil all over the road, blown engine 19k miles. 2 month battle to get it fixed, had to get mobil one involved since they blamed it on the oil, after getting them involved, it finally got taken care of. gm and the dealers will tell you they have never seen one engine fail from a ss... yea right.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
thanks for the reply

yeah reading the net and talking to my mechanic (a master mechanic who worked for GM for many years and who works on GM's all day long today) this is not a freak occurence and my issue was well beyond the reasonablke limits that GM documented to cover their asses.

I want nothingmore than to love my SS, still one of the best values and overall combo of fun and practicality (well minus gas mileage but that was no surprise and a fair trade off) and when my baby is clean and polished and runs good theres nothing I would rather have the keys to. Too bad its usually just clean and polished, the "runs good" part is a bit harder to maintain!

im holding back my monthly payment until i get the proper respone. they can tow it out of my driveway i dont care anymore. Have my eye on a Cayenne turbo now anyway (anyone know if they have motor or oil consumption issue haha)

i dont know what to do, my main gripe is i ran out and bought this thing before most people, got one of the early 2006's - yet I get a 3 year /36k warranty and everyone else who WAITS to buy gets 5yr/100k warranty on the drivetrain? WTF? Why aren't we grandfathered in to thsi warranty !?

my last GM was an 1986 monte carlo LS 4.3 V6.
What a piece of junk! Needed motor mounts every few months, tranny went bad twice from 40k to 70k, radiator broke twice, yoiu name it. Granted, my first car (my 70 yearold grandfather bought it new in 1986, put about 10K on her and dave her to me in 1991 for HS graduation) but was my last GM until now, and damn nothing seems to have changed

·
Registered
2006 chevy
230 Posts
Was it in the # 3 or 4? Many Z06 LS7's are/have blown due to oil loss and starvation and it generally occurs in that area. In fact, one guy just lost his driving up a hill on the way to the dealer last week to pick up his ZR1 CF roof.

Not smart to hold back payment. You are out of warranty, and your financing has absolutely no connection to the mechanical side of the vehicle. You are only shooting your credit in the foot.

I have to say, not really overjoyed with the reliability of my TBSS. Not too bad, but at 43k miles I've had to fix more things on this vehicle than my last 4 new vehicles combined.

·
Registered
7 Posts
gm isnt making a good name for themselves. i own a 2007 ss trailblazer ss. i have blown 3 engines the same exact way. gm had the car almost 2 months the first time, 3 weeks the second and finally this last time only 2 weeks. this last time they ripped down and rebuilt the whole motor. it seems to be running great but gm had me sign documentation (in the work order) saying my vehicle is now suppose to run with 7qrts of oil instead of 6.5qrts from the manual.

im currently looking into gm buying the car back. i know its gonna be a struggle, but i just cant do it anymore. :cry:

·
Banned
2006 chevy trailblazer_ss_ls
7,988 Posts
Sorry to hear about your SS troubles. I think it's more the exception than the rule.

Have my eye on a Cayenne turbo now anyway (anyone know if they have motor or oil consumption issue haha)
You should ask ghoster about that. He's got a Cayenne.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
1,380 Posts
Not smart to hold back payment. You are out of warranty, and your financing has absolutely no connection to the mechanical side of the vehicle. You are only shooting your credit in the foot.
I agree. It's like holding back your rent payment for issues with an apartment. All it does is gives the landlord a reason to evict you! There are proper ways to mediate these issues and pissing off a finance company right now in these times isn't the way. :m2:

·
Registered
2007 chevy
180 Posts
gm isnt making a good name for themselves. i own a 2007 ss trailblazer ss. i have blown 3 engines the same exact way. gm had the car almost 2 months the first time, 3 weeks the second and finally this last time only 2 weeks. this last time they ripped down and rebuilt the whole motor. it seems to be running great but gm had me sign documentation (in the work order) saying my vehicle is now suppose to run with 7qrts of oil instead of 6.5qrts from the manual.

im currently looking into gm buying the car back. i know its gonna be a struggle, but i just cant do it anymore. :cry:

That bandaid was actually figured out on the web, too, not by GM engineers. We, as owners, did all the legwork.

When I rebuilt my engine, on my dime, I forged it, etc. and also added a Melling pump with increased volume, to make sure that crap didn't happen again. On top of that, I keep 7 or more qts in there.

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_3ss
3 Posts

Mikey07, I am currently facing the same issue in regards to needing a new engine because the pump and pan appear to be insufficient. Is there a way you could (black out your personal info) and send me a copy of your "new" agreemant with GM stating you will now use 7 qts instead of 6.5 qts? This will greatly aid me in my "battle" with GM.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
3,250 Posts
Mikey07, I am currently facing the same issue in regards to needing a new engine because the pump and pan appear to be insufficient. Is there a way you could (black out your personal info) and send me a copy of your "new" agreemant with GM stating you will now use 7 qts instead of 6.5 qts? This will greatly aid me in my "battle" with GM.
You DO realize this thread is over 2 years old.

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_3ss
3 Posts
I did realize that, but i figured it wouldn't hurt to ask (in hopes he kept the document on personal file).

·
Registered
chevy trailblazer_ss_3ss
1 Posts
i got a 06 tb ss thats makin a helluva racket !! screachin a hollow knockin but oil pressure is still good .. i read sum wheres that the torqe converter on these can make this racket too or is my motor shot? its been sitting 2 years now i had the extended warranty but expired two thousand miles after the noise started.. so my fat mans vette has been collecting dust ..i had my cats took off ran good for a couple weeks , is my motor shot or will 02 sensors make this noise? and how much would it cost me to get my motor rebuilt? i always used mobile 1 except once my last oil changed i used royal purple.. any suggestion would be greatly appreiated!!! my sons turn 15 this summer and would like this to be his car if not to costly rather then by him new..thanks

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
1 Posts
Loss of oil

Hello,
Just joined and find my first topic listed at the top.

I have a 2006 TB 5.3 with 60 k miles. Bought it last winter at 50 k miles, and find it's using 2 quarts of oil per 5,000 miles. What's up with this?

I was going to pull the plugs for a look, but after a light struggle with the cable decided to seek some info. Must I pull really hard, or use a special to remove the cap/cable assembly from the spark plug?

Also the book says to dump in 6 quarts, but that still leaves it low on the dipstick.

Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tired and confused

I'm currently having the same problem now with my 07 ss, but the dealer is not acknowledging this problem. Will you please share this memo with me?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey SS brotha's,

I just posted a reply to a similar thread on the site, but then noticed it was in a non-OEM forum - So I'm thinking posting it here in the OEM forum is a better place

So I blew my motor - 2006 SS (6.0 V8 obviously) with about 40K.
Bad knock after losing oil pressure without warning and the loud knock hit my ears right about when the "turn off engine" message hit my message center

Facts/questions about my vehicle history and present condition:

1 - never had more than 1 quart magically dissapear between oil changes
2 - used mobil 1 (GM seal / approved OEM oil) synthetic since day 1 - first oil change at 3,000 miles and changed every 5k to 7500k thereafter
3 - I check my oil every 10-14 days, and somehow there was over 3 quarts missing in between checks this time! So in about 1000 to 1500 miles of driving, how could i be missing 3 quarts of oil with NO LEAKS and no history of burning more than 1 quart over 5k - 7500 miles? I drive about 50 - 100 miles a day on average. What could have triggered this?
4 - metal found in oil pan (this is to be expected after missing 3 quarts of oil and blosing a rod I assume?)
5 - I assume this is what blew my rod. Do I have a legitimate case against GM for having them provide some sort of assistance or retribution or providing some sort of good-will gesture to help me with my expenses and repairs because I am out of warranty - or am I basically beat!?!?
6 - I got a used replacement motor from another SS with half the miles (19K) than I had thamks to Geico mechanical breakdown insurance ($250 deductible).

GM said if I wanted any case opened I would have had to go to their mechanics/dealer. Is this right? Why would I want them to tell me if the motor failed prematurely or had an underlying issue, or if it was negligence? Wouldnt I want a neutral party? (which I did choose, the neutral party. Also, Geico would only tow me a few miles and a GM dealer was further than that, so more unnecessary expense for me if I towed to GM.

I am out about $1000 plus my DDM just went bad too! Bought a junkyard DDM and now my locks and windows work, but my upper AC vents dont blow air! Another expense to have this reprogrammed!

I have 42K now on the vehicle ...

Been to the dealer 8 other times in 3 years for squeaky belts, recalls, Service stabilitrak message, bad fuel gauge/tank floater/sensor, etc

What do I do? Chalk all this up as cost of driving an SS? anyone with similar issue or experiences?
07 trailblazer ss made noise 55,000 miles had to replace it out of my pocket at 65,000

1 - 16 of 16 Posts