Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Premium Member
'05 TB 4.2 EXT
6,192 Posts
Jack up each lower control arm - putting the jack as close to the lower ballpoint as you can get and THEN shake the wheel that is off the ground --- violently --- and in all directions.
Up.​
Down.​
Left.​
Right.​
Axially.​
Tangentially.​
Radially.​
Rotationally.​
Laterally.​
Off Axis.​

I bet you find it that way.

· Premium Member
'05 TB 4.2 EXT
6,192 Posts
Okay .... that's bad news .... I thought this would be not only easy but obvious too.

So, let's assume something worse and much more expensive ... <jk ... trying to scare you > ....

SOMEthing is setting up a harmonic somewhere. There's a lot of things that go bump in the night ......

• Bad CV joint that's undetectable until it gets to a speed or frequency that causes a feedback ... remember that you said it transmits through the steering wheel. We have to assume it's in the front steering/running/power transmission stuff.
  • A bad differential spool bearing. This is sometimes called a "carrier bearing" and if you engage 4High, it might become more obvious. Mebee.
  • A bad pinion u-joint.
  • A bad transfer case output bearing
  • An out of balance front d-shaft (I'm on shakey ground with this assessment..... )
I'm assuming that somewhere or somehow, the drive axle slider is engaged for the next parts ...
  1. The front drive axles are engaged all the time and things are old/loose/worn out from constant rotation even though the 2H/4H/A4W/4L says otherwise.
  2. I need an epiphany here for more ideas.
Do you see that I've kinda shotgunned the front rotating parts here? If I've missed something, I'm sure I'll be scolded ... but it'll be for you and your problem ... so I'll take one for The Gipper today.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.