Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
2,998 Posts
KollinKnack06, until Ravalli responds, I would like to toss this bit of information regarding the 4.2L engine and oil pressure. The 4.2L engine was designed with the volume of oil moved in some unit of time instead of oil pressure. Thus, a low oil pressure reading (above 0 psi) is considered normal. This may be unsettling to many as we've had it drilled into us for a long time that oil pressure must be in the double digits or else there is something wrong.

Well, oil pressures below 10 psi are normal for the 4.2 L engine as long as the volume of oil moved is correct.

Reactions: Berniedorf

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
Unfortunately, I do not know how low it can go without there being any oil flow. Also, I do not know what the oil flow specification is. Two very good questions that I do not know if they have been researched.

Only time I've heard any clattering in the lifters on my 04 TrailBlazer was after an oil change when I took a long break before putting oil back in (I left the hood up and the 7 quarts of oil on the engine cover and the battery).

Reactions: Ravalli Surfer

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
RED05ED, just one point of clarification. Not ALL GM products have oil pressure sensors/switches have filter screens. The 99 Silverado with a 5.3 L engine I used to own did not have a filter screen for the oil pressure sensor/switch, and nor do the 1992 Oldsmobile 88 and 1999 Buick Century engines have filter screens for their oil pressure sensors/switches.

Also, there are plenty of us on here who do appreciate it when people take an extra moment or two to think about grammar and those who will be reading their postings.

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
Trust me, we are far from being millennials and kindergartners...

Reactions: Berniedorf

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
Trust me when I say that Ravalli Surfer, despite his sometimes good natured exterior, is an extremely knowledgeable automotive professional technician/mechanic, who is one of the best automotive diagnosticians I have run across, and I used to work with one many years ago in Indianapolis. This forum is darn lucky to have him.

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
Stangyog, there is no filter screen for the oil pressure switch/sending unit on a 2004 4.2 L engine.

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
I've been following this thread and I agree completely with you regarding the comprehension of the written word.

Reactions: sw904
1 - 7 of 7 Posts