Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 trailblazer that was left parked for 4 days. When we tried to use it the keyless entry wont work and the doors are locked out cant use key. called onstar and they said in sleep mode and locksmith will have to open it up once they got it open still wont start had to install jump starter then all instrument came on and started without jump starter. is there a way to disable this sleep mode.

· Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
8,149 Posts
:tiphat Welcome :tiphat . That makes no sense to me. The keyed lock in the drivers door has nothing to do with the sleep mode or any thing electronic. Even with the battery out of the truck the key should lock/unlock the door.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have another question regarding this vehicle if i close all the windows at the same time using the master switch it will put the vehicle into reduced power mode and i have to stop and turn it off then back on. Onstar says it is the gas pedal switch when they diagnose it. What do you thing also another note when driving up hill the lights will pulsate bright and dim and the voltage on the cluster will vary from 14 to 11. alternator checks out to be good.

· Banned
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,547 Posts
With your TB being 4 years old it could be the battery is getting weak. The other possibility is that your ignition switch is going bad. Both of these are common problems in our vehicles.

· Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,009 Posts
You need a new battery.

A vehicle gets its power requirements from the battery, not the alternator. The alternator charges the battery, but once the battery gets old it can't put out the proper voltage on demand.

When the voltage drops below a certain level, many of the sensors go into default mode. Usually it's the crankshaft position sensor, but in your case it was the gas pedal position sensor. You don't need a new sensor; you need a new battery.

Spend the extra money and get a GOOD battery. These vehicles are very demanding on batteries and cheap department-store batteries with low prices and high CCA ratings are made with very thin and weak plates. There are two schools of thought:
- buy cheap batteries and replace them routinely every three years without fail; or,
- buy a very high quality battery and hope it lasts five to six years.

I went with option 2. (AC Delco 7-year professional battery - and at one year old it tests way HIGHER on the load meter than its rated capacity!)

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I should have mentioned that the battery is 3 months old. I also should mention the door key still won't turn must be a bad lock cylinder or something inside jamming the rods. I will pull the door panel this weekend I must admit i have never used the key in the door just the fob. so what do you think of the voltage pulsating while driving up hill in the dark with all accessories running maybe a short somewhere.

· Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
2,037 Posts
:confused:Don't make sense to me. Door lock should work with key, try other door. Also a new battery can be bad after a few months, have it checked asap. Please fill out your user CP so we all know what you're wheelin to better help you!:thumbsup:

· Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,009 Posts
Yup, I agree. Symptoms point to premature failure of the battery, provided the alternator does check out okay. It's not unusual to have a certain percentage of early battery failures. Usually once they get through the first month or two, they are good for years.

While the door lock is a mechanical issue, every other symptom points to a low voltage condition. Have you had to boost it in the past? These vehicles can easily sit for a month and not need a boost (unless the Onstar doesn't go to sleep ... and apparently yours does.)

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the input i will have the battery tested this week. I started it this morning and it started fine. i will tear into the door this weekend. I went to try the key on the other door and there is no key hole. Is that normal for the driver door to have the only manual key. These are little things but considering all the little issues might be time to trade for a g8 gxp or camaro. After all there is the annoying issue with the head lights dimming at night. had it to dealership for this problem several times and they changed out the gas pedal switch ??? and said it was okay. I don't know much about the onstar and sleep mode but can this feature be disabled.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.