Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I am new to the forum and to TB's in general. I stumbled onto this place earlier at work and figured I pop in here and ask ya'll a few questions.

To start off I am planning a build... I can't decide on a base vehicle yet and I wonderd about the TB's.. Here are the specs:

Engine:
6.0 LQ9, L92 Heads and cam and L76 Intake.. somewhere around 450+ HP

Transmission:
700r4

T-Case
Atlas 4.3:1

Front End:
Spidertrax 9" housing with Hi9 Diff, ARB and 5.14 gears.

Rear:
14 Bolt 5.13 and ARB. Im waiting on the portal-tek guys to come out with the Ultimate 14 then Ill go to that

Havent decided on the shocks but either kings or fox's Coilover remote reservoir shocks.
4-link front and rear, Custom bumpers and Exo-Cage.
38 - 39" Krawlers

Im planning on removing the dash and removing everything that I don' need. leaving on the basic stuff .. Radio, AC controls. Also put in a custom console for the Atlas and transmission shifters. Remove the seats and put in some custom corbeau 5-point harness seats. I want to remove the gauge cluster and replace it with some Autometer gauges. I want it street legal and completely Unique. I've already have enough to get the Engine, Tranny,T-case, and Axles. Now im just waiting until I can find the right TB. So tell me what ya'll think, can the TB handle it.?

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
2,636 Posts
So tell me what ya'll think, can the TB handle it.?
I don't think it will even be a TB anymore. You're basically asking if the body and frame can handle it, no? I guess that depends on what you are planning to do with it and how well your craftsmanship is. Since you'll be tossing away the stock TB suspension and entire drivetrain, I'm not sure if I can provide much insight.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your right. I guess the main reason for the TB is, I want it to be street legal. Also It has a longer wheelbase, and its a four door. Im trying to get it up and going in time to make it it to Ultimate Adventure 2011.

·
Basic Vendor- Skid Plates
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
3,700 Posts
Well, it is full boxed frame, and seems to be pretty stout (no door-binding when suspension is twisted up, like a 1/2 ton truck can get)...

Some come with a 5.3L from the factory, so it will physically fit in the engine compartment, and the OEM V8 radiator will have the correct end tanks on it for your engine application...

The only thing may be cooling... With the mechanical fan, it's got plenty of cooling for the 300hp 5.3L, but probably won't be enough for 450 horses, if you stay WOT for any serious length of time... An aluminum 4-core radiator will probably fix that, though... There just isn't as much radiator room as a full-sized truck...

If you're in Indiana, you're welcome to come over and roll around under mine...

Mike

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've had my eye on a Ron Davis Aluminum Rad. Dual Flexalite electric fans. And just to make steering a little simpler PSC Double-ended hydraulic steering Ram. Thanks for the invite, Im in NC and moving to AL in December when I seperate from the Military.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
2,636 Posts
I'm not familiar with Ultimate Adventure 2011, and neither is google. What's the event all about? Is this an expedition type adventure? or a rock crawling adventure? Got a website? I'm just kinda intrigued. We have yet to see a SAS done to a TB, much less a major powertrain swap and portal axles :eek:.

If you go ahead with this, make sure you keep us posted, I'd love to see the final result.

·
3,700 Posts
I'm not familiar with Ultimate Adventure 2011, and neither is google. What's the event all about? Is this an expedition type adventure? or a rock crawling adventure? Got a website? I'm just kinda intrigued. We have yet to see a SAS done to a TB, much less a major powertrain swap and portal axles :eek:.

If you go ahead with this, make sure you keep us posted, I'd love to see the final result.
Your google-foo is weak, my friend... :D

http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/ultimateadventure/index.html

Mike

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you want some information on Ultimate Adventure you need to look back at the last few years. 1200 mile trip, rocks, mud .. you name it. The best one is 2008
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=Ultimate+Adventure+2008&aq=f

Well as far as it goes its a little ways off, Ive got to move and all that junk. And then start back to school and then use the money to build the truck. I figure I can get it finished in time to apply for the 2011 trip.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,031 Posts
Sounds like you want to just start off with an SS, 6.0 is there from the factory so one thing less to buy. Keep us updated and good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I thought about the SS. But I can get a regular old TB for around $5k and then sell off what I don't want to generate some more money for some other expensive things. I figured while I'm doing that I'm going to hit up places and see if they want to sponsor some products. I haven't paid that much attention to the TB's but I think this would be one of the first ones.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,031 Posts
I personally thin that if you are selling stuff off to generate money then the SS items would go faster sales wise. You could probably pick up an insurance write off really cheap and then get a builders title following completion of the project.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Ok so I am new to the forum and to TB's in general. I stumbled onto this place earlier at work and figured I pop in here and ask ya'll a few questions.

To start off I am planning a build... I can't decide on a base vehicle yet and I wonderd about the TB's.. Here are the specs:

Engine:
6.0 LQ9, L92 Heads and cam and L76 Intake.. somewhere around 450+ HP

Transmission:
700r4

T-Case
Atlas 4.3:1

Front End:
Spidertrax 9" housing with Hi9 Diff, ARB and 5.14 gears.

Rear:
14 Bolt 5.13 and ARB. Im waiting on the portal-tek guys to come out with the Ultimate 14 then Ill go to that

Havent decided on the shocks but either kings or fox's Coilover remote reservoir shocks.
4-link front and rear, Custom bumpers and Exo-Cage.
38 - 39" Krawlers
The LQ9 will fit in there not a problem the Z71 concept TB had that engine

id have to say that the 700r4 will fit IIRC its the same thing as the 4l60E that we have but the older version

maybe the 14 bolt will be too large (the pumpkin) isnt that thing like 2x bigger then the stock one we have??? But maybe some JEEP aftermarket front axles will work since they are around the same length or a little wider which is good

But i think that it will be a cool build to do keep us posted

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The LQ9 will fit in there not a problem the Z71 concept TB had that engine

id have to say that the 700r4 will fit IIRC its the same thing as the 4l60E that we have but the older version

maybe the 14 bolt will be too large (the pumpkin) isnt that thing like 2x bigger then the stock one we have??? But maybe some JEEP aftermarket front axles will work since they are around the same length or a little wider which is good
The 14 bolt is a lot bigger, I'd rather not have the traditional Axle. A company called Portal-tek is testing a prototype called the Super 14 where it will look just like the Spidertrax 9" housing. Essentially they are Fitting a 14 Bolt to drop out like a 3rd Member on a 9". As far as the 700R4 goes.. well its not set in stone yet I have thought about the 4L60E but it will just depend on what is the best for the money and which one is more efficient (not waisting HP).

Here's the Link for the Spidertrax 9"

http://www.spidertrax.com/Front_17

And the one for the Super 14:

http://www.portal-tek.com/media.html

·
3,700 Posts
The 4L60 is the exact same transmission as the 700R4 (just changed the name in the early 90's)... The 4L60E is a 4L60, just upgraded with electronic controls...

Mike

1 - 14 of 14 Posts