Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,624 Posts
As long as you keep up on the maintenance, you should remain happy.

A couple of things to keep an eye on. First the power steering lines. They have a tendency to rust out for a couple of reasons. One, by the collection of dirt, grime, oil vapors, and two by electrolytic corrosion. Replacing them is quite a job - but do able for one with a fair amount of experience, and a lot of patience. I believe the book labor on replacing the parts is in the neighborhood of 5 - 8 hours.

Two, keep up with the oil changes because the engine uses a variable valve timing solenoid that is driven by oil pressure. Dirty, forgotten oil tends to gunk up the stainless steel screens in them causing problems.

Three, if you need to do work on something that requires you to disconnect the battery, DO NOT disconnect the battery!!!!!!!! Remove the fuses for the appropriate fuses instead. Why? Because every time you disconnect and then reconnect the battery, the HVAC actuators go through a recalibration procedure and because of their age, the nylon gears in them have become quite brittle and are likely to break which means replacement, and some of the HVAC actuators are a royal pain in the @$$ to replace - pain as in having to remove the dash!!!

If you ever do have to replace the battery, be sure and use one of those Keep Alive Memory (KAM) devices or a battery powered jump pack to keep the PCM and BCM powered and "alive".

If/when you need to replace the spark plugs, these engines are very, very picky as to what spark plugs go into them. They prefer the ACDelco 41-103 plugs for the 4.2L engine, and the ACDelco 41-192 plugs for the 5.3 L engine.

Keep a new igniton-starter switch on hand because they are a known weak spot. Get a good one such as one from ACDelco, Delphi, NAPA Echlin, Standard Motor Products (non T series) or BWD (non P series). Stay away from the $9.99 internet white box specials.

Good Luck!

Reactions: 2002 TB LS

·
Registered
2002 Pewter ls with automatic trans. 4x2, gray cloth interior.
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I spotted a Trailblazer in the neighborhood today and it was POOP green / Avocado green. Such horrible color but in great shape!

·
Registered
10 Posts
As long as you keep up on the maintenance, you should remain happy.

A couple of things to keep an eye on. First the power steering lines. They have a tendency to rust out for a couple of reasons. One, by the collection of dirt, grime, oil vapors, and two by electrolytic corrosion. Replacing them is quite a job - but do able for one with a fair amount of experience, and a lot of patience. I believe the book labor on replacing the parts is in the neighborhood of 5 - 8 hours.

Two, keep up with the oil changes because the engine uses a variable valve timing solenoid that is driven by oil pressure. Dirty, forgotten oil tends to gunk up the stainless steel screens in them causing problems.

Three, if you need to do work on something that requires you to disconnect the battery, DO NOT disconnect the battery!!!!!!!! Remove the fuses for the appropriate fuses instead. Why? Because every time you disconnect and then reconnect the battery, the HVAC actuators go through a recalibration procedure and because of their age, the nylon gears in them have become quite brittle and are likely to break which means replacement, and some of the HVAC actuators are a royal pain in the @$$ to replace - pain as in having to remove the dash!!!

If you ever do have to replace the battery, be sure and use one of those Keep Alive Memory (KAM) devices or a battery powered jump pack to keep the PCM and BCM powered and "alive".

If/when you need to replace the spark plugs, these engines are very, very picky as to what spark plugs go into them. They prefer the ACDelco 41-103 plugs for the 4.2L engine, and the ACDelco 41-192 plugs for the 5.3 L engine.

Keep a new igniton-starter switch on hand because they are a known weak spot. Get a good one such as one from ACDelco, Delphi, NAPA Echlin, Standard Motor Products (non T series) or BWD (non P series). Stay away from the $9.99 internet white box specials.

Good Luck!
Chem_Man, wow, thanks for that very helpful info !! I am bookmarking your reply for future reference.

I'd like your opinion on a question about my transmission, but I don't want to derail this thread. My question is at

Dropped Tranny pan & changed filter - Now I have a...

I'd appreciate you thoughts on the matter.

Thanks again !!

41 - 44 of 44 Posts