Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 03 trailblazer LT swb 3.73s with 188k on the clock with the 4.2 vortec, at highway speeds of 75 mph and sometimes 80mph I can achieve 19-21mpg (hand calculated), was wondering what you guys were getting out of your TBs, mine is pretty much fully loaded.
The mileage was made on a trip from Shreveport, Louisiana to Rockport TX, about a 7hour drive with Houston traffic included, overall it’s a 430 mile trip. I have made trips to Mount Ida Arkansas which had lots of hills and was still able to achieve 19-20mpg, is my truck some sort of freak?
 

·
Registered
2004 Trailblazer LS 4x4, 4.2L:, 2016 ATS-V, 2014 CTS-V Wagon, 2018 Audi A7
Joined
·
145 Posts
My 4,2 4x4 has averaged 17 mpg over a few thousand miles. 89,000 on the odo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
My 2006 has 120k miles, gets about 13.5 mpg. But I also have 32 inch mud tires, 3.42 gears and 3 inches of suspension lift on mine.

I plan to swap 4.10 gears in some day, and I think that will help. Everyone thinks lower gears help MPGs but on something this heavy and the larger tires, you actually get better MPG (especially in city) with higher gears. Taking off doesn’t take as much stubble for the engine lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My 2006 has 120k miles, gets about 13.5 mpg. But I also have 32 inch mud tires, 3.42 gears and 3 inches of suspension lift on mine.

I plan to swap 4.10 gears in some day, and I think that will help. Everyone thinks lower gears help MPGs but on something this heavy and the larger tires, you actually get better MPG (especially in city) with higher gears. Taking off doesn’t take as much stubble for the engine lol
Yea I’d like to go up to some 30s or 31s and maybe go to 4.10s to get a little more pickup over stock. I expect my mpg to drop down to 17-18hwy
 

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
Joined
·
129 Posts
I got an average of 19.14 MPG in over 18000 miles of interstate driving over a 10 month period of time range was from 16.39 to 21.87 MPG). About 60% of the time normal highway speeds on I-95 between Baltimore and the DC beltway, and the other 40% of the time was a combination of stop and go driving and 30 - 40 MPH driving. This is for a 2004 4WD 4.2L TrailBlazer. Driving in town I get about 14.3 MPG.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got an average of 19.14 MPG in over 18000 miles of interstate driving over a 10 month period of time range was from 16.39 to 21.87 MPG). About 60% of the time normal highway speeds on I-95 between Baltimore and the DC beltway, and the other 40% of the time was a combination of stop and go driving and 30 - 40 MPH driving. This is for a 2004 4WD 4.2L TrailBlazer. Driving in town I get about 14.3 MPG.
That’s really good fuel mileage for a 4wd suv! Kinda makes me want a 4wd model even more...
 

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_denali
Joined
·
50 Posts
I have an 03 trailblazer LT swb 3.73s with 188k on the clock with the 4.2 vortec, at highway speeds of 75 mph and sometimes 80mph I can achieve 19-21mpg (hand calculated), was wondering what you guys were getting out of your TBs, mine is pretty much fully loaded.
The mileage was made on a trip from Shreveport, Louisiana to Rockport TX, about a 7hour drive with Houston traffic included, overall it’s a 430 mile trip. I have made trips to Mount Ida Arkansas which had lots of hills and was still able to achieve 19-20mpg, is my truck some sort of freak?
06 Envoy Denali with 115k and 20" tbss wheels and i am averaging 15.3 mpg mixture of highway and city. before the wheels i was close to 17mpg.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
My 2006 has 120k miles, gets about 13.5 mpg. But I also have 32 inch mud tires, 3.42 gears and 3 inches of suspension lift on mine.

I plan to swap 4.10 gears in some day, and I think that will help. Everyone thinks lower gears help MPGs but on something this heavy and the larger tires, you actually get better MPG (especially in city) with higher gears. Taking off doesn’t take as much stubble for the engine lol
I swapped my gears from 3.42 to 3.73 and now the 4.10, and I must say the 4.10 is the best way to go. Especially for off the line
 

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_denali
Joined
·
50 Posts
I swapped my gears from 3.42 to 3.73 and now the 4.10, and I must say the 4.10 is the best way to go. Especially for off the line
what are your revs at 80mph just out of curiosity. I wish mine had at least the 3.73 gears if not the 4.10. 3.42 is too tall of a gear for these beasts.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top