Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear All,

I am having chevy trailblazer'03, for the last few days I am having engine over heating problems while running with AC in the day timing. And even in night the temp needle goes a bit on right.

Since I am living in Arab, so obviously the day is quiet hot, but I remember my engine used to be working normal previously.

My only doubt was about radiator flushing, and I have already got this done, but this shows no change.

Right now I am considering two options, first or most likely is Fan Clutch or the second one is thermostat.

Can you guys suggest me, what should I do to troubleshoot my thermostat or fan clutch.

One important thing, I am not having any engine check light.

So please give out your suggestion.

:thx

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
3,250 Posts
Have you had the radiator washed with a spray hose from the back? Could it be plugged with sand / dirt?

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
331 Posts
Search
Fan Clutch Diagnostic

there is a good write up on testing the operation of the fan clutch.

If you still have the orig fan clutch then you are much overdue for a new one.
At the same time you should go in with a new water pump and upper-lower hoses. Then change the thermostat

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thermostat Diagonose

Is there anyway to diagnose the thermostat??

I will do the fan clutch diagnose today and will post the results at night.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,203 Posts
Short of removing the stat and dipping it into hot water to see at what temperature it opens, you can only guess. Without removing the stat, you can use a temperature probe (I use a IR gun) to read the temperature of the housing at the point coolant begins to flow and the hose warms. - But you can't tell if it's actually fully open, only that coolant is beginning to flow. (Not to mention the temp on the housing may not be 100% accurate to the temperature of the coolant, although using an OBDII reader to obtain the sensor's temp will get you close).

Quite frankly, if I'm removing it to test it, I might as well toss a new one on.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
331 Posts
I'm not sure what parts will cost in your end of the world, but over here in North America the cost of a thermostat is less than $30 so after 9 years....I would just change it

1 - 6 of 6 Posts