Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2005 buick rainier
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few questions that you guys can hopefully help me awnser. I am going to Michigan next month from Georgia towing my svt contour with my Rainier. The weight being towed will be right around 4500-5000 pounds. I have 3.73 rear gears and a I6, will I be fine towing that far and back without a brake controller and a weight distribution hitch? I will be renting a car hauler from u haul.

·
Basic Vendor- Skid Plates
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
3,700 Posts
Several threads on this... UHaul car haulers have surge brakes, so you don't need a brake controller...

No sway control should be OK...

Mike

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
24 Posts
You actually might be pushing it. I did it from Cincinnati down to Ft. Stewart Georgia without the weight distributing hitch or without the electronic brakes and i was pretty much on edge the entire trip. The tongue weight was entirely too much which weighed down the tb too much and handled like ****. Plus the braking time was crazy. So when I towed my car back up to Ky. I made sure I purchased an electronic brake controller and a weight distributing hitch and what a huge difference it made, a much more relaxing drive without worries. If you actually read the hitch on your tb it says not to pull more than 4000 lbs without a weight distributing hitch...just some food for thought.

·
Basic Vendor- Skid Plates
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
3,700 Posts
You actually might be pushing it. I did it from Cincinnati down to Ft. Stewart Georgia without the weight distributing hitch or without the electronic brakes and i was pretty much on edge the entire trip. The tongue weight was entirely too much which weighed down the tb too much and handled like ****. Plus the braking time was crazy. So when I towed my car back up to Ky. I made sure I purchased an electronic brake controller and a weight distributing hitch and what a huge difference it made, a much more relaxing drive without worries. If you actually read the hitch on your tb it says not to pull more than 4000 lbs without a weight distributing hitch...just some food for thought.
UHaul trailers are set up a little different than a regular old 16' flat bed car hauler... They have surge brakes (google it), so you don't need a brake controller.

Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts