Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
gmc envoy_slt
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My current set up is a 2004 Voy, i-6, SLT, 4x4. I'm considering towing a boat which weighs 6500 lbs fully loaded (including trailer, gas, coolers, ice, fishing gear....everything). It only needs to be towed from the marina parking lot to the ramp, or about 800 yards. No speeds over 25. Trailer has stainless steal disc brakes on each axle.

I would be using a WD hitch. I am clearly over my manufacture rating, but is this a feasible task for the Voy to tow? Towing 1-2 times a month when the fishing is good.

:thx

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
628 Posts
I see no problem towing for that short distance, off the hwy.

Trailer tongue weight? You could safely go a couple of hundred lbs over for a short distance. The rear will sag but you should be OK.

Is the surface paved or loose? Is the launch ramp paved or loose? Is the launch ramp steep?

If the surface is loose you could use 4wd if the ramp is steep. On a hard surface you don't want to be in 4wd.

·
Registered
gmc envoy_slt
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. The tongue weight will be near 650-700 lbs, fully loaded. That is the very top of the capacity when using a WD hitch. The drive to the ramp is paved, the ramp is paved. Not too steep...but it is a ramp. I am under the impression I need to keep it in 3rd gear while towing...correct?

I've towed a smaller camper trailer for a few years, around 3500 lbs with everything. It towed like a dream. I'm hoping I can get by with the Voy for the fishing boat.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
628 Posts
Tongue weight of 650 is pretty high, the rear is going to be sitting real low. Do you have air bags in the rear?

If you are not going to exceed 35 mph you can use any gear you wish as it won't ever see an opportunity to shift into OD. I'd start out it 1st and shift manually to 2nd and leave it there and drive slow. Not so much as to protect the transmission, but to help out the brakes and not get going too fast.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts