Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_lt
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rig is a boat and trailer weighing about 5600lbs. I want to tow it every other weekend about 15 miles each way. Also, twice a year about 300 miles.

It is a 2008 TB currently stock.

Thanks in advance for the info..........

·
Premium Member
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
481 Posts
You are definitely pushing the limits at 5600lbs with the 3.42 gears. I wouldn't hesitate towing the boat and trailer 15 miles but I wouldn't do 300 miles unless its all flat ground, you have a transmission fluid cooler and the TB is not completely loaded down with gear. I've pulled a friend's Four Winns and trailer weighing about the same as your boat/trailer without any issues and I have the 3.42.

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
Thats going to be an issue, if you have the 5.3 you'll be better off than the I6 which is going to struggle especially with the 3.42s and that much weight. Definitely invest in a trans cooler and maybe a trans temp guage, Id also switch to synthetic motor oil to help the engine on the long trips. The 15mi trips would be easy to do stock, but the 300mi ones are hard on it. Take it SLOWWW, thats a lot of weight to stop, starting is easy stopping is the hard part. My boats are 4000lbs and even with the 3.73s my 02 I6 has to really work on the 330mi trip from seattle to coeur d'alene up a 3000ft pass from sea level. Trans and engine stay nice and cool, I use synthetic oil, diff fluid and have a trans cooler.

·
Basic Vendor- Skid Plates
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
3,700 Posts
You'll be fine going 15 miles, and if you're on a relitively flat highway for your 300 mile trip, it'll probably be fine, as well... The only place where the gears really matter is from a start, and on hills... I wouldn't pull over a mountain with it, but if you're in the midwest or the south, you'll probably be fine...

Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts