Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2006 saab 9_7x
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Saab 9-7x 4.2i AWD with about 70k miles. I will be moving from Idaho to Texas in August. I am considering renting a 6x12' Uhaul trailer. The combined weight of the trailer/cargo will be right about 4,000 lbs. The Saab has a towing capacity of 4,000 lbs with 400 lbs of tongue weight. The Saab has air suspension in the rear. The trailer has surge brakes. There would be 3 people in the car and one baby. This would be doable, but would it be advisable? Any suggestions? I have pulled trailers before, but not where the weight of the trailer is almost equal to the weight of the tow vehicle. I am mostly concerned with the stress and wear on the Saab. This is the cheapest option, but is it worth it or should I fork out some more money for a moving truck?

:thx

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
57 Posts
Gotta do the math on this one, brother- IMO the numbers don't add up to a safe trip for you.

The Gross Combined Rating for a 9-7x is 10,500 lbs. The trailer and load is at 4k lbs.

Figure 4800 lbs curb weight for the Saab, then add the weight of all passengers, fuel, cargo, and tongue weight. Max Gross Vehicle Weight Rating is 5950 lbs (GVWR includes all the factors listed in this paragraph).

With the above, you're right at the edge of the capacity of the Saab. If you're like most of us humans, there will be another 500-800 lbs of "stuff" not accounted for between the tow rig and the cargo trailer.

If you decide to go for it, I highly recommend you ensure your tires, braking system, suspension, cooling system, etc are gone over with a fine tooth comb before you hit the road.

A one way rental of a cargo van is the better alternative.

·
Registered
2006 saab 9_7x
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. That's what I was worried about. :worried: I really wish it was possible to do the trailer, but since it would be pushing it so close to the edge I probably will go with the moving truck and Saab driving separate. :(

:thx

1 - 3 of 3 Posts