Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are looking at buying a small TT to tow with our TB, instead of the the 28' motorhome we now use. We have never towed before, but the TB has a trailering package with the 4.10 rear end. GCVWR is 11,000, TB weighs about 5200 lbs loaded.

We like the Palomino F22FSS, but have had much conflicting advice about whether it is too much for the TB to tow, especially through mountains.

TT dry weight is listed between 3751 and 4130 lbs - not sure why the difference when they seem to have identical equipment. The box is only 21' long, but the front A-frame is longer than average to carry a streamlined v-shaped propane tank cover, so it measures around 25' or 26' from hitch to bumper.

After reading all the very helpful advice in this forum, we plan to use a Reese dual cam W/D hitch and Prodigy brake contoller. Still, we wonder if this trailer may be too long or too heavy for us to tow comfortably, especially with no prior towing experience (though plenty of experience crawling up long steep hills in low gear in the motorhome!).

We're hoping someone with more experience towing a similar TT can give us some real-world advice. Thanks!

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
16 Posts
You will be fine and You are lucky to have the 4:10 gears, much better for towing !! I have the 3:42 gears and I tow a 26 foot tt that has a dry weight of about 4000 lbs , and i have no problems. I would recomend a set of airlift air springs for towing, They can be found on ebay for about $80-$90 . I also got the pcmforless tune for towing

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
967 Posts
:iagree:

I tow a smaller trailer than you will be, but I only have 3:42 gears. I've towed it through the mountains in Montana and Wyoming and it towed great. Climbing the 6% grades I ran in 2nd gear at about 3500 rpms and was able to keep it at about 50mph. With the 4:10 gears I don't think your TB will break a sweat in the mountains. Don't run more than 65 when towing on flats, two reasons, 1) you'll save gas (I get 12mpg towing on flats at just over 60mph), 2) Its safer. Not only are ST tires only rated for 65mph, but you'll have a more time to react to anything going on in front of you.

The only other thing I can think of is that with that large of a trailer, you should get an axillary trans cooler.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.