Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, to begin with I am going to say that I have spent a good few hours reading about towing with a trailblazer since I never done it before.

I have a 2002 Chevy Trailblazer with 145k miles, 3.42 gear. I used to be a technician at a GM dealer, so the car is at a very good shape. All fluids replaced recently and everything.

I am in Oklahoma City, and received a job offer in Seattle. I am wondering if I can get a small U-Haul trailer ( Well, aparently I cant put links of sites just yet, but it is the uhaul Trailers/5x8-Cargo-Trailer-Rental ) for this trip. According to U-Haul I can even get a bigger one, but this should do fine. The main reason why I am getting this trailer is so I can tow my toolbox ( sears craftsman-40-inch-16-drawer-premium-heavy-duty stainless steel ) with tools there.

I have absolutely no idea how much weigh is in the toolbox, but it is not completely loaded. I will also have some clothes, a computer chair, some school book, a lcd tv, and a few other things not too heavy. I have to believe that the tool box is going to be the heaviest thing by far.

At this moment, I don't have money or time to buy and install anything to the trailblazer.

So, do you think that this is fine? Is it too much for a stock trailblazer?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Tool box description

Craftsman® Premium Heavy-Duty Tool Chest Combo storage is the ultimate storage to organize and protect your extensive tool collections and equipment. This combo has a 40-inch 5-drawer top chest and 11-drawer rolling cart that packs a whopping 24,320 cubic inches of storage. Full-extension ball-bearing drawers deliver strong, steady smooth DynaGlide™ drawer performance and supports up to 100 lbs. per drawer. The drawers latch into place with the GRIPLATCH® drawer system enabling you to move the combo to your next job knowing your drawers will stay closed. The beefy 5 x 2-inch casters support up to 1,200 lbs. and roll easily over uneven surfaces. Keep your tools and your profession secure with Craftsman!

So, I have to assume that the toolbox with tools have way less than 1,200 lbs.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt_xl
28 Posts
I have an Envoy XL 4WD. I've been towing a 3200 lb boat/motor/trailer (dry weight) all summer with no issues so far. I haven't been too far (100 miles one way max), but the truck doesn't seem too upset handling my boat. You might want to tow in 3rd gear over the mountains, but I don't think you'll have any problems.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you very much guys.
Do you know which route would be best from Oklahoma City to Seattle?
I am worried about hills.
Thank you

·
Registered
2007 gmc envoy_sle
4 Posts
Tows Fine

I just towed my 81 El Camino with a 500lb 350 engine and 200lbs worth of tires in the bed plus the car trailer up Vail pass. It was slow but pulled it just fine...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
333 Posts
Don't forget to tow in 3rd. gear, it's easier on the trans.
I tow a boat about 100 miles (4000 lbs. all up) without a problem, but the gas mileage goes from about 20 to 12.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts