Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_slt
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
High everyone I am new to this site. I just bought a 2006 Envoy SLE 4WD with 29,000 miles on it 3 days ago and it was running fine until I put my trailor on it. My boat and trailor weigh about 2000 lbs. and when I am attempting to drive on the highway it is very slugish, especialy going up a hill.

I can't get past 60MPH and I brought the car back to the dealer and told him my problem, so he took the car for a spin and came back to tell me that it is fine. I said yes when not towing a boat its great, but when my boat is hooked up to it, it doesn't seem to want to go anywhere.

I need help please what can I do to fix this problem, I do have a 3 year 45k bumper to bumper warranty, and would like the thing to be able to tow my boat...

Thanks
Rusty

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_3ss
3,118 Posts
Welcome to the site!
I wish i could help with your issues..
sounds like a fuel delivery system problem to me though.

Our TB pulls a 2700lb boat just fine..
as you dont forget to bring the anchor up..

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
547 Posts
Towing in 3rd? I've been researching buying one myself and seems most people that have them and tow with them keep it in third, unless it's level or downhill. HTH c good

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,708 Posts
Welcome to the site. You need to fill out the UserCP just above, that way we know what you have and can better answer your questions. Also, use the search button on the same line, it will give you a world of information. But, to try to help, if I were you, I would start with cleaning the throttle body and see what that does.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
251 Posts
Welcome to the site. I tow a 2500 Lb trailer all the time. 70 Uphill is not a issue. Acceleration uphill is not a issue. If you cant tow 2000 lbs you have a problem! Mine is a 05' 6 cylinder with 3.73 gears. Good luck!

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
997 Posts
When a truck is new to you, it is hard to judge because you don't have a lot of previous history to determine if it really IS running good, even when not pulling a trailer. Consider that these trucks can easily pull 4000 pounds and not break much of a sweat, so there is obviously something not right with your truck.

Start with an OBD scan and find any codes in history. That may provide a clue.

After that, go back to the traditional stuff. With all the computers in cars these days, we forget that we still need air/fuel/spark/exhaust to run properly.

Is the throttle body clean? This is the likeliest problem. Our trucks bypass some of the exhaust gas back down the throttle body instead of a traditional EGR valve, and this causes buildup on the throttle body itself. It is easy to clean and there are great instructions right here in the forum.

What condition are the spark plugs? This is less likely and a misfire because of a bad plug or a bad or poorly connected coil will throw a code quite readily, but if you are mechanically inclined, you could pull a plug or two. Our trucks are quite particular about plug choices, and if you find anything except the AC Delco plugs, that could be a problem. Previous owners may have replaced the plugs with another brand thinking they will get a boost, but they essentially kill the performance with plugs that may work well on other vehicles but not on ours.

What is the output from the fuel pump? Again, this is less likely, but a low output can cause good normal performance but poor performance under load. It would be highly unusual to find a failed fuel pump at that low miles, but it is possible. (The fuel filter on your truck is inside the fuel tank right at the pump, so replacing the fuel filter is not an easy option, nor is likely the cause anyway.)

Is your cat plugged? This can be easily checked at any muffler shop who will insert an instrument into the oxygen sensor hole and measure the exhaust backpressure. While this seems unlikely with these few miles, it is a very distinct possibility because the previous owner may have ruined it very quickly if they got a bad misfire and didn't stop right away and have it fixed immediately.

So, in order of likelihood (and ease of fixing it yourself) I would suggest cleaning the throttle body first and see if that doesn't improve the situation. Also, pull the plugs and have a look at them. (Be sure to securely attach the coils properly as they can seem to be connected but not making good contact when at a slight angle.)

If that doesn't work, have your exhaust backpressure tested.

If everything is fine, then back to the dealer for further tests. It is NOT normal, by the way. In rare situations, a transmission could start to fail and cause exactly the symptoms you describe. To fix it requires a new strengthened reaction sun shell in the transmission - not inexpensive, by the way, but that's what warranties are for, of course.

And, welcome to the forum. These trucks are not perfect but they are great vehicles and most problems are pretty well known and predictable. There are very few 'mysterious' problems and for people that are mechanically inclined, there are very few problems one cannot fix themselves with the help of this forum.

Just remember - WWRD.

Good luck!

·
Banned
2004 gmc envoy_sle_xl
1,239 Posts
Everyone is assuming it is the truck at fault, what is the history on the trailer? Is the trailer equipped with brakes? If so, have they been checked out and not dragging? What about seizing wheel bearings on the trailer.
It's hard to believe that the truck can perform without fault by itself, but be sluggish with only a 2K load on it.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
997 Posts
Good point!

When pulling a trailer, I always stop after the first few miles to inspect tie-downs and check for seized brakes or bad wheel bearings.

After driving a few miles, I put on a pair of gloves and lightly touch the trailer wheels. If a bearing is going or the brakes are seized, you will know it RIGHT away! (That's what the gloves are for - and don't ask me how I know ...) The wheels should never feel much more than slightly warm. If the wheels are hot, feel the wheel bearing. If the bearings are bad, it will be very hot here. If the brakes are seized, the whole wheel will be very hot and you will be able to smell a distinctive odour from the brakes. If the wheels are warmish but not excessively hot and the wheel bearing is not any hotter than the wheel, check the inflation pressure of the tires.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,236 Posts
Everyone is assuming it is the truck at fault, what is the history on the trailer? Is the trailer equipped with brakes? If so, have they been checked out and not dragging? What about seizing wheel bearings on the trailer.
It's hard to believe that the truck can perform without fault by itself, but be sluggish with only a 2K load on it.
Exactly... My 03 I-6 had no problem towing a 2 axle car-hauler with an Explorer off-road truck -- about 7200# -- at 80+ mph on the freeway.

A decent running TB with 2000# should run just about like no trailer. For instance...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.