Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 06 Trailblazer with a 4.2L. I have a 16 foot car trailer that weighs 1900 pounds. I would like to tow this trailer, but would only tow it when I get lumber or such. The most I would put on it would be 1500 pounds, if I need a larger load than that I would use my Dodge Ram with a Cummins. Would I need to add another tranny cooler as added insurance to keep the tranny cool?

Thanks,
Bob

·
Registered
2005 isuzu ascender
14 Posts
Towing capacity

I have an 06 with a 4200 and 3.42 axle that's rated at 4750lbs listed on factory invoice sticker.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
77 Posts
I towed a 3600lb car with a tow dolly from Nashville to St. Louis with no problems. Mine is stock BTW. Unless you're climbing mountain, you shouldn't need a tranny cooler (don't they have them already?).

·
Registered
2009 gmc envoy_slt
153 Posts
I tow a 4000 lb boat with my I6 3.42. A tandem axle trailer sure helps - also trailer has surge brakes which work well. It struggles a bit up steep hills and I stay out of the mountains when towing. I installed a tranny cooler and this helps with keeping the temps decent. Use 3rd gear as others suggest.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's been almost two years since I posted this and I have pulled my car trailer a few times. I didn't put much of a load on it, but hauled some 16 foot 2x4's. Last winter I did haul a ton of wood pellets, but that was only for 16 miles, trailer was kind of squirrelly while towing. My 96 Dodge Ram with a diesel gets better mileage when pulling the trailer, so I used that.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
2 Posts
I've had a problem with my 03 4.2 pulling a car dolly with a Passat on it. The car had 60k on it, and started surging, dropping down 2 gears. Not sure what the problem is. No check engine light, etc. the trans had been serviced at the dealer at around 45k a year or two ago.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts