Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2007 gmc envoy_slt
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if someone could help me calculate my towing capacity.

GVWR: 5750lbs
GAWR FRT: 2960lbs
GAWR RR: 3200lbs
GCWR: 10,500lbs(thats what the manual says)
Hitch: 5500lbs
Hitch with WDH: 7200lbs

For towing I will be using a WDH to assist with the soft suspension the envoy has.

·
Basic Vendor- Skid Plates
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
3,700 Posts
Hitch: 5500lbs
Hitch with WDH: 7200lbs
That's what the hitch is rated to tow, not what the vehicle is rated to tow...

I don't think there's an I6 model that's rated to tow more than 6k... The V8 SWB models are rated up to 6800, IIRC, depending on ratio...

I thought it was in the manual? Gear ratio vs. wheelbase vs. 2/4WD vs. engine gives you the tow rating...

Mike

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
63 Posts
The I6 2wd with 4.10 gear ratio is capable of 6300, I6 4wd with 4.10 can tow 6100. The towing capacity reduces by about 500lbs for each step down in gear ratio to 3.73 and 3.42.

And yes, your hitch capacities and vehicle capacities are almost never the same. Always go by the lower capacity and you will not only be safe, but legal as well.

·
3,700 Posts
The I6 2wd with 4.10 gear ratio is capable of 6300, I6 4wd with 4.10 can tow 6100. The towing capacity reduces by about 500lbs for each step down in gear ratio to 3.73 and 3.42.

And yes, your hitch capacities and vehicle capacities are almost never the same. Always go by the lower capacity and you will not only be safe, but legal as well.
Thanks! I couldn't remember off the top of my head, so I went to the manuals section of this website (or could have gone to my owners manual, like the OP should have), and copied and pasted the pages from the manual into 1 JPG file, uploaded it to my Picasa page, then posted here:

·
Registered
2007 buick rainier
661 Posts
Doesn't seem logical that the SS with 4.10 tows the same as the 5.3 with 3.73. Wonder which part is limiting the capacity.

·
3,700 Posts
Doesn't seem logical that the SS with 4.10 tows the same as the 5.3 with 3.73. Wonder which part is limiting the capacity.
The effective load goes up with more power applied... The SS has ~100 more HP than the 5.3, and will be harder on parts...

Mike

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
8 Posts
just wondering what is the best way to find out what the axle ratio is, unfortunately I do not have the original documents for my vehicle.

·
Banned
1,354 Posts
just wondering what is the best way to find out what the axle ratio is, unfortunately I do not have the original documents for my vehicle.
Under the resources tab at the top of the page is a link for RPO codes, those codes will correspond with a decal in your glove box. One of those codes will tell you what ratio you have

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
1 Posts
Large engine with small engine parts in the tranny

When I burned out my reverse gear the tech that fixed it for me told me that the Trailblazer was up-engined without improving the tranny, so it was common for the 5.3 to tear up the weak transmission.

He rebuilt my transmission with Z1 parts (ala Corvette). I'm hoping that I'm over-engineered now

:).

·
Registered
17 Posts
gross weight

don't know how to add photos but I tow a Kubota L4400 with my 08 TB and gross weight is 13680lbs, I really didn't think I was that heavy but its on a certified platform scale. I would guess to say I have about 20,000 miles doing this for the last few years with no problems, I added some airbags inside of the rear springs and use about 21lbs of air in each to level out the truck when hooked to trailer and tractor. I don't go over 60mph and leave it in 3rd gear once im moving but hold it in 1st till im up and going, I get about 10mpg. I check trans fluid all the time and no burnt smells.
I got electric brakes on trailer so everything can come to stop really quick if needed. If I knew how to add photos I would post them with rig on the scale
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts