Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
968 Posts
I believe that the 4000# limit is without a weight distribution hitch. The sticker on the hitch should specify that.

BTW, welcome to Trailvoy! Please take a few minutes and fill out your profile so we can get some details about your truck. That can help us to answer questions!

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,436 Posts
The hitch can't be upgraded, and the issue is a 400 pound hitch weight limit unless you have a WD hitch. I have a 3500 pound trailer, and use a WD hitch and love it. Run a search and you'll discover a recent discussion about brands and styles of WD hitches.

·
Registered
2004 buick rainier
55 Posts
I believe it's 400 TW and 4000 HW w/o WD Hitch. Add the WD hitch and it becomes 720 TW and 7200 HW(this is off the top of my head). Keep in mind that this hitch is applied to all TB's/Envoys & of course Rainiers and is not the recommended weight maximum for your specific vehicle. Your owners manual has the proper limits for your own vehicle.

·
Registered
2008 trailblazer_lt
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The wording on the label is: "4000 lbs trailer load capacity, 7600 lbs with weight distribution. But, see owners manual for vehicle towing capacity".

The way this is worded, it looks like the label on the hitch, refers only to the hitch as if it was bolted to a concrete wall.

It also infers that the owners manual takes precidence over the label.

In any case, this label only confuses the issue.

Steve L.

·
Registered
2009 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
3 Posts
TB Towing

Sorry if this is a repeat, new here. I tow an 8500# trailer with a Silverado with V8, towing package, W/D hitch for occasional use - twice a year. Want to downsize the tow vehicle, thinking about 2010 TB with V8, 3.42 gears and same hitch and trans cooler. I realize the wheelbase will affect the handling somewhat, but for occasional use, will the TB do it comfortably?

·
Registered
2009 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
3 Posts
I do use a weight distributing hitch rated at TW 1,000 and GTW (Gross Trailer wt?) of 10,000# and a good brake controller. I could use a 3.73 rear to increase towing capacity, but I do see your point about potentially exceeding the capacity of the vehicle. If I chose the 2009 TB with factory towing package, what do you think that maximum would be? What does the TB weigh? As I mentioned, my trailer is 8500#.
Thanks for your input, just what I needed from someone who’s been there. Maybe I’m looking at a Tahoe?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.