Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_lt
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, newbie here (both to the forum and my Trailblazer). In a few weeks, I'm going to need to tow my 2002 Camaro about 180 mi to get it tuned. Washington weather being what it is, I'll likely have to tow it back as well.

Info about the TB:
2007, 5.3L with 3.42 gears, Tow pkg.

I plan to rent a trailer from Uhaul to tow the car down. My biggest concern is the weight of the trailer and Camaro exceeding the hitch weight. I don't have a WDH.

Honestly, I don't plan on towing much of anything with the TB, so I'm not looking to make a big investment into a brake controller, WDH, cooler, etc. The drive itself will be fairly flat (no huge hills and no mountains).

Uhaul says the car will work, but after their guy said he'd never heard of a Weight Distribution Hitch his credibility went out the window.

So I ask you guys. If I do this without the towing investment, am I really running the risk of damaging something?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
23 Posts
I have essentially the same question as you. How much does your trailer and vehicle weigh combined?

I'm considering towing an Integra and a trailer (4500 lbs combined) which is below the max towing capacity but above the tongue weight of the trailer.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
80 Posts
Can you adjust the position of the auto on the trailer which would reduce the weight on the tongue?

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle_xuv
55 Posts
I have rented those Uhual trailers before I finally bought my own. The way the trailer is set up you can't move the car back to get weight off the tongue. The way the straps work to tie it down don't allow for that. Also they use a hydraulic system similar to what a boat trailer uses. The tongue of the trailer slides to engage the brakes of the trailer so you don't need an electric trailer brake controller....

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
23 Posts
My guess is that "it will work" but your safety margins will be less than what they should be (during an evasive maneuver, hard braking, etc). If you reduce the tongue weight you may get trailer sway in some conditions. I ended up getting a WDH although I am really not crazy about the idea of it. If nothing else, you are setting yourself for legal liability if you tow beyond the vehicle's limits and get into a collision.

That said you have the EXT model, right? That will help with stability. The limits are entirely suspension/vehicle dynamics related. Also "I think" if you had stiffer rear shocks that would improve weight balance by reducing the amount of squat in the rear. I can't confirm this. For what it's worth you can get a Fastway WDH from eTrailer for less than $250 shipped after they do their 110% price match on Amazon.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts