Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know of a guy that is giving away a 30 foot camper. He used it at his hunting camp and now built a house, so has no use for it anymore. I don't know much about the camper. I haven't talked to the guy yet, but I did look at the camper. It appears to be in really good shape to be given away, so thats why I'm considering it!! It says on the camper that it is 5,000 lbs. I couldn't see any thing about the tounge wt. But I would have to pull it about 15 to 20 miles. I'm not worried about pulling it this one time to where it would go. I have an 02 TB with the 3:73 gears and SWB. I don't have any towing mods. Should I worry?? Any tips would be great! Should I use 4x4 when I pull it? I guess I'm just asking for any kind of advice!

·
Basic Vendor- Skid Plates
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
3,700 Posts
You may want to be in 4-low when pulling it out of his yard, but when on pavement, 2WD only (unless it's snowing or something)...

Should be OK to tow home slowly... Pretty much going to need a weight distributing hitch if one comes with it...

Mike

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
I would have thought a 30 footer would be heavier, but even for 10 miles, you're going to need an electric brake controller, and the trailer's brakes have to work. Never use 4X4 for driving or towing on pavement. On dirt, it's OK.

You might be a lot better off finding a buddy with a much bigger tow vehicle who's already set up with a brake controller.

And the tongue weight is going to depend on how the trailer's already loaded, but it should be around 500 pounds. That's going to stress your hitch if you don't invest in a weight distributing hitch. Imagine how much your tail is going to sag if a 500 pound friend stood on your bumper.

And you say this is a one-time relocation move? For a lot cheaper than installing a brake controller, you can buy some nice beer and pizza for a friend with a Suburban or F250.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,708 Posts
I would have thought a 30 footer would be heavier, but even for 10 miles, you're going to need an electric brake controller, and the trailer's brakes have to work. Never use 4X4 for driving or towing on pavement. On dirt, it's OK.

You might be a lot better off finding a buddy with a much bigger tow vehicle who's already set up with a brake controller.

And the tongue weight is going to depend on how the trailer's already loaded, but it should be around 500 pounds. That's going to stress your hitch if you don't invest in a weight distributing hitch. Imagine how much your tail is going to sag if a 500 pound friend stood on your bumper.

And you say this is a one-time relocation move? For a lot cheaper than installing a brake controller, you can buy some nice beer and pizza for a friend with a Suburban or F250.
Roadie, You make me laugh bringing back memories. I moved my daughters 30' travel trailer a few years ago. It must have weighted 10k-12k and I was using my Ranger 4X4. The trailer had a 2 5/16 ball reciever, and that should have told me I was in real trouble. I ended up using 4 low and did not turn on the front spindles. But the real trouble was trying to stop it. I got it to where she wanted it, (my driveway) and all turned out ok.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts