Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would you tow a Uhaul drive on trailer (appx 2000 lbs) with a 3400 lb car on it for 600 miles? Thinking about picking a car up in Michigan and getting it back to NJ. Is it a suicide mission?

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
3,335 Posts
No.. its not a suicide mission. Just look through some of the threads here for some detailed info on what to check on the truck prior...

I towed a 2400 lb car from NJ to NH on a Uhaul drive on once, the car was packed to the gills with stuff, as was my truck... I'd say total weight being towed was about 6000 lbs..

More recently, I towed my VW Cabriolet to and from PA on a much heavier trailer....

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
721 Posts
I would do it.

The U-haul trailers have surge brakes, so you won't be overtaxing your tow vehicle's brakes. But you will still need to be driving carefully, looking far down the road and anticipating the need to stop. That said, if a deer jumps out in front of you, all bets are off.

The thing that I would worry most about on that tow would be the trans temps on the TB. You have some nice hills on that route, and you will put a load on the trans for sure. If I did it, and didn't have a trans cooler, I would do a complete trans flush immediately after the tow to get the old fluid out. It might be ok, but why run the risk?

Be sure to tow in 3, not in D. This will help the trans to live.

I suspect you will find it to be an uneventful tow if you just take your time.

Just my :m2:

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,436 Posts
For an emergency recovery, a couple of us drove a 2WD trailvoy with a 2200 pound trailer carrying my 5000 pound Envoy from Colorado to San Diego through a couple of mountains ;). Hope to never do it again, but it was not a kamikaze mission. The east part of the country has nothing like those mountains.

The trailer rental place had some software that knew the weight of various vehicles and the towing capacity of the trailblazer, so we had to claim we were carrying a Honda Civic on the trailer before they'd rent it out.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,248 Posts
I towed 8000# with mine to and from off-road events all over the midwest. No big deal. The TrailVoys tow pretty well.

I would probably invest in an auxillary transmission cooler, but otherwise, you should be good.

Just remember to let it shift on hills, tow in 3 (as was mentioned above) and don't push it hard on long uphills (even if they don't seem very steep). I've had more transmission overheating issues on long steady uphill pulls than on steeper sections where it shifted down a gear or two.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
211 Posts
For an emergency recovery, a couple of us drove a 2WD trailvoy with a 2200 pound trailer carrying my 5000 pound Envoy from Colorado to San Diego through a couple of mountains ;). Hope to never do it again, but it was not a kamikaze mission. The east part of the country has nothing like those mountains.

The trailer rental place had some software that knew the weight of various vehicles and the towing capacity of the trailblazer, so we had to claim we were carrying a Honda Civic on the trailer before they'd rent it out.
Had this happen to me as well. My Cutlass Convertible turned into a 79 Honda Civic. Check over the U-haul trailer carefully-they have been known to rent some crap. As long as you take your time, and know you are going to get single digit gas mileage, you should be fine.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
3,335 Posts
As long as you take your time, and know you are going to get single digit gas mileage, you should be fine.
I'm going to have to disagree with you on this...

I don't tow very often, vehicles only about 3-4 times, as a matter of fact. When I did the rider from NJ to NH, I averaged about 13mpg for the trip. Regular driving I get about 16mpg...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Uhaul F'd me anyway :crazy: Their website and 800# says the Trailblazer can tow a 3,300lb Regal. I had to call locally because I need the trailer for more than 24hrs and they tell me that the TB does not qualify. WTF! Stuck here, I hate Uhaul and can't understand how they are as big as they are. You make a reservation one place and they tell you to pick it up 50 miles away......now this crap? They are more hassle then they are worth. Penske only from here on, too bad they don't rent trailers unless you rent one of their trucks.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
24 Posts
Similar Towing Question

Hi all, new member here, first post. I have been following the towing discussion(s) and am very encouraged by what I'm hearing. I was going to ask you all a similar question -

We have a 03 Envoy XL w/ V8 and 3.73 rear end rated to tow 6600 lbs. I might buy a trailer at auction that is 32' and weighs 4600 lbs empty...problem is, I need to tow it off their lot (possibly all the way home?) with no weight distribution setup (yet) and no brake controller installed. It's about 100 miles from Frostburg to Hagerstown MD, if anyone is familiar with I-68 in Western Maryland...

Am I nuts? Based on what people have towed on here, I dont think I'll have a problem. But I also dont want to fry my nice Envoy...

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,436 Posts
I would take a Suburban or something similar already set up for trailering if you have such friends. You might end up with 800 pounds of hitch weight depending on where the trailer options are. And no sway control. Without electric brakes you have to drive a mile ahead of where you are, and if any surprises show up you would lose that inevitable lawsuit for liability. And you're surely going to want a tranny cooler.

No time to add these items before the auction, or are you not certain you'll end up with such a HUGE trailer? The dynamics of that without a sway control may keep you to 40-45 MPH, not such a hot idea on the Interstates unless you're going to risk the attention of the staties.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.