Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone towing a 21' or larger boat with an SS on a regular basis? I am looking for a boat now and was wondering what was being towed.

Thanks.

·
Banned
2006 chevy trailblazer_ss_ls
7,988 Posts
Not on a regular basis...but had no problems (power or stability) with my 23'10" Bayliner. (5400lbs+trailer)

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_3ss
3,118 Posts
Not an SS, but we have had NO problems ever.
Its a small Bow Rider, but its packed full of stuff..
Mainly coolers full of refreshments..haha..

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not on a regular basis...but had no problems (power or stability) with my 23'10" Bayliner. (5400lbs+trailer)
Thanks. That's good to hear. That would be my limit. Looking for 21-24' boat. Just weekend trips with the SS until I get the RV to tow it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Biggest issue is weight, not length of the trailer. The other thing you might want to consider is surge brakes on the trailer to help out. I'm not sure if someone has developed water-tight electrics...last I knew your only option was to use surge brakes.

·
Registered
2006 chevy
89 Posts
Im a big bass fisherman and bought my SS to eventually pull a boat. Fishing alot of tournaments I see all types of wild rigs and boats. I have never seen a TBSS pull a bass boat but I have seen a few Silverado SS's pulling boats and they did it with ease. I may not be exact with the numbers but i thought the 2WD SS could pull up to 6800lbs. and the AWD was rated to 6600lbs. I would rest assured that any boat in the 20 to 25 ft. range shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
2007 chevy
42 Posts
You know whats funny tho, is there is a sticker on the SS trailer hitch that states the limitations. Not sure about the regular TB. Even though the book may give a higher value of weight, this seems to be the limiting factor.

Attachments

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
107 Posts
Biggest issue is weight, not length of the trailer. The other thing you might want to consider is surge brakes on the trailer to help out. I'm not sure if someone has developed water-tight electrics...last I knew your only option was to use surge brakes.
I believe any boat trailer with 2 axles has to have brakes.

·
Registered
2006 chevy
24 Posts
You know whats funny tho, is there is a sticker on the SS trailer hitch that states the limitations. Not sure about the regular TB. Even though the book may give a higher value of weight, this seems to be the limiting factor.

That is the limit on the receiver ( class III), not the limit on the truck. A TB limit is GCVW (gross combined vehicle weight) 11500lbs. So if you load your TB and it weighs 7000lbs, your max trailer is 4500lbs = 11500lbs. When it comes to towing a TBSS is a joke, if it wasn't for the rear view, you would forget you even had a trailer on. my SS is alot smoother, more power, better turning and handling then, my buddies gmc 3500HD ext cab, long box 6.L. Same trailer around (6000lbs)

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_lt
3 Posts
Towing a boat

I have a 2008 trailblazer v-8 with towing package. Towing a dual axle trailer with a 22' scarab boat.
I would not advise towing with your truck, at 45mph it was still dangerous.

·
Registered
2008 chevy
28 Posts
I have towed heavier and bigger trailers with my TBSS AWD at 85 MPH; I would not use it to tow for a living, but I wouldn't hesitate towing a boat to the lake every weekend with my Toy.

·
Registered
2008 chevy
129 Posts
I towed my '77 Corvette on a Featherlight trailer with no problems other than the MPG. Didn't even know it was there, cruised 80 all day long.

Frank

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
20 Posts
SS?

can you please tell me what SS stands for. I have been seeing it alot on this site. Thanks:crazy:

·
Premium Member
9,559 Posts
Super Sport:D

GM was nice enough to install some 395 Horsepower LS2 6.0 Liter V-8s (similar to the vette engine) in our trucks. They also have some other nice features like special suspension, interior enhancements, and 20" polished rims standard.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ss_3ss
2 Posts
29' Fountain Behind my SS

I tow a 29' Fountain with a 525 EFI back and forth from the ramp with my SS. Never a problem. Tows fine.

BTW, anyone have pics of what thy did to make hooking up the trailer harness easier?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts