Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have done some pondering here recently... I have been considering doing a little bit of fabrication and making a few new pieces for my TB. A lot of you guys have the D ring hitch for recovery. I have been considering making a few of these but for specific locations. I was going to make two to replace where the factory tow hooks are and have them come out a bit past the bumper. I have been thinking this for two reasons. First I dont wheel enough to get a hitch for the front of my TB and do all that stuff. Second I dont like the tow hooks on the TB, first because they are an open hook which tend to break easier (I know it takes alot to break these but still), and second I dont like the open hook design because the strap can slip off these, and lastly they are back in the bumper I dont feel like damaging my bumper from a pull out ( I know you guys are thinking just remove the bumper this isnt feasible due to spontaneous wheeling).

So now for the second set I was going to put these in the rear. One because now I can leave my hitch open and two I dont want to have to get the clevis out every time and go though all that when the rear hatch where everything is stored because I dont want my stuff to get stolen. And lastly why not, other off road bumpers have them mounted there:D The only thing for there rear ones is whether I build off the frame or I do something off of the hitch...:undecided

Anybody have any thoughts or design concepts? Ill be waiting:coffee

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
275 Posts
well for the rear you can do wat i did. I work for the army and stumbled across a HUMVEE shackle. it fits perfectly around out trailer hitch and hags below. it its strong enough to handle the weight of a 6,000 lb truck and stanp a chain doing about 15 mph. i aint got no pics yet but i can have them if you need them just let me know

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, While I like the Idea that isnt what I am thinking. I am looking at doing something in terms of two points out away from the hitch. Probably if and when I do this is when I get the nerve to cut into the rear bumper for some rear lighting.

But its still something that I am planning

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
275 Posts
well i was letting you know so if you did not want o cut into your truck you would not have to and my set up works wonders lol

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well like I said I am going to put some auxillary lighting in the rear eventually so I may try to do some kind of all in one type deal so there isnt extensive cutting. But I like your set up, I just want to leave my hitch open and available for use.

Again thanks for the input and its definately something to consider for those looking for a different way to mount a recovery piece:thumbsup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts